Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But: some older 2.6.22 Debian kernels failed to build kernel modules due to a GPL error, I hope you have got a working one...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      But: some older 2.6.22 Debian kernels failed to build kernel modules due to a GPL error, I hope you have got a working one...
      I run a 2.6.22-3 kernel (the one that entered the testing branch today), and I re-installed 8.40-4 fglrx-driver with module-assistant without any problem, so I guess I'm ok, right?

Comment

• That should be fine then. You can use any driver with -v option. For kernel 2.6.22 and xserver 1.3 this should be down to 8.33.6 possible (unoffically) or down to 8.37.6 (offically).

Comment

• My goal is to install Catalyst 7.11 so it's ok.

I'll do it tonight, I'm still at work

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Comment

• Dear Kano

I used your script yesterday and almost everything went fine. Let me explain :

one the binary has been downloaded from AMD/ATI website, the script launched the distro package building. And I let you imagine how surprised I was when I read on my screen "building package Ubuntu/Edgy . Anyway, I let the script finish its job, rebooted the computer and then noticed that everything worked fine since X started properly and glxgears gives way better framerates. At this moment I thought : "oh my goodness the nightware is over, Kano is my god" .

So, I start WoW just to see how it works, and unfortunaly I noticed no difference compared to drivers 8.40-4 taken from Testing deposit .

So, I checked the driver version in synaptic, and noticed that the installed one was not named "fglrx-8.433" nor "Catalyst-7-11", but was named "xorg-fglrx-433". I guess it's not that important, but I wanna make progresses and learn stuff about linux so I won't need to bother ppl with questions, I guess you know what I mean

So, maybe my performance problem doesn't come from fglrx drivers, but maybe from my computer configuration (xorg.conf or something else, I still have no idea).

Thanks again for that script, I'll keep it for next Catalyst releases. If you have answers about my wonderings, feel free to tell

Comment

• There are only a few different variants of the driver stored in the package, the newest one is the edgy target for Ubuntu and all newer ones. As this is for Xorg 7.1 and newer I use that if my script finds Xserver Xorg 7.1/1.3/1.4. The diff between Debian and Ubuntu targets are mainly the packagenames created. When you use Debian target these will be updated via apt-get. Also the Debian targets have been broken very often (like missing symlinks or whatever). The version number is correct of the package with 8.433 - only the installer has been renamed AFTER packageing. Thats a change I really dislike, because the packages get the build number not the name of the installer. So that renaming was pretty much useless and only requires an extra workaround in my script. Before -v VER was in the package names created too.

Comment

• Ok, thank you for the answer.

And again : thx for that script.

Comment

• Anyway, did someone see any performance improvement for that kind of card between 8.40 and 8.42 or 7-11? Just so I know if the problem comes from my hardware or a configuration problem...

Thx all.

Comment

• I got a huge performance boost from repo drivers to the 7.11. The thing is that I found something is leaking memory now, and WoW crashes after a bit of playing. I going to mess with Xorg.conf to see if I can stop the leaking (Composite "Enabled" maybe causing the leak?)

My card is a X1400 Mobility

Comment

• Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                      I got a huge performance boost from repo drivers to the 7.11. The thing is that I found something is leaking memory now, and WoW crashes after a bit of playing. I going to mess with Xorg.conf to see if I can stop the leaking (Composite "Enabled" maybe causing the leak?)

My card is a X1400 Mobility
                      Ok, so I guess my problem is due to the .deb generated by the official binary... All I have to do now is to wait for 7.11 to migrated to testing repo (4 days to go! )

I still have hope.

Thanks a lot, and let me know the results of your xorg.conf investigation.

Comment

Working...
                      X