Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Grinch That Stole The Radeon Gallium3D Performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Grinch That Stole The Radeon Gallium3D Performance?

Phoronix: The Grinch That Stole The Radeon Gallium3D Performance?

There are some significant performance drops right now on Mesa master for the forthcoming 7.12/8.0 release concerning the Gallium3D driver for older ATI Radeon graphics processors. The performance of the R300g driver is now setback compared to earlier Mesa releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sigh

Phoronix - where articles ARE the bug reports

Comment

Has anyone else got an r300 card handy to do a quick besect on? I'm running all r600's here

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Has anyone else got an r300 card handy to do a quick besect on? I'm running all r600's here
        The regressed commits should be published on Christmas.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Also, please compare the visual output. Maybe about three screenshots over the duration of the test.
          Just to show whether it's just a performance regression or whether it actually renders more and better.

Comment

You really have to write & publish guide how to compile and test out newest mesa drivers

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              You really have to write & publish guide how to compile and test out newest mesa drivers

Code:
              git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa
              Code:
              cd mesa
              The following is correct for a 64 bit stripped down mesa - make sure you have the 'devel' packages installed on your distro

Code:
              ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
              --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --libdir=/usr/lib64 --disable-option-checking --enable-dri --enable-glx --enable-xcb --enable-texture-float
              --disable-debug --disable-egl --enable-gbm --disable-gles1 --disable-gles2 --enable-glx-tls --disable-osmesa --enable-asm --enable-shared-dricore
              --enable-shared-glapi --with-dri-drivers= --with-gallium-drivers=,swrast,r300 --disable-d3d1x --disable-gallium-g3dvl --enable-gallium-llvm --disable-openvg
              --disable-vdpau --disable-xvmc
              Code:
              make
              WARNING the next line will overwrite [possibly trash] your system's mesa

Code:
              make install
              to bisect:

Code:
              git bisect start
              Code:
              git bisect bad
              this marks the current git head as bad
              Code:
              git bisect good mesa-7.11.2
              says we know mesa 7.11.2 worked ok

Then test a game that we know has regressed and for each run mark it as good or bad until it finds the rotten commit

Then make and try again

You shouldn't need to use "make install" but I can't for the life of me remember the environmental override that lefts you do MESAOVERRIDE=/lib/I/just/built mygame

Hope that helps

Comment

Off-topic, but the (not so apt or clever) references to Christmas and Holidays in pretty much every article (and even some comments) is a bit over the top for a relatively technical website. (And that's an understatement.)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  You shouldn't need to use "make install" but I can't for the life of me remember the environmental override that lefts you do MESAOVERRIDE=/lib/I/just/built mygame
                  LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH for libgl.so, and LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH for libgl.so, and LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH I think.
                    If someone can confirm that I'll update my post

Comment

Working...
                    X