Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD's HD7970 is ready for action! The most effiency and fastest card on earth.

That has to be the most ridiculous price tag I ever saw on a piece of hardware.

I am sure that nvidia will beat that too

Probably. But then again, this is a single-GPU card. NVidia usually applies price tags like this on dual-GPU cards.

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Probably. But then again, this is a single-GPU card. NVidia usually applies price tags like this on dual-GPU cards.
    But what people seek from this kind of product is the performance, not the core, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    (Open source-friendly)Video Codec Engine/VCE
    Only Encodeing and if its FOSS friendly is not clear now. By the way is the VCE available on the Low End HD7XY0 Cards because they are only relabeled.

That has to be the most ridiculous price tag I ever saw on a piece of hardware.
    I suppose you'd also summarize Intel's latest Extreme Edition CPUs as "justified in price" and "an excellent value".

It's about $50US more than the last-generation equivalent, or about 10% more, which probably covers the unprecendented cost of the 28nm, and maintains the same profit margin. Most people can easily get by with a lesser GPU like a 78xx or 77xx series, so I doubt the "bragging rights" or the "I truly have no life" crowd will be too swayed by what you say is a "ridiculous" price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    Raw performance is not really that impressive, the gtx590 beats it in most other tests, and AMD's own HD6990 is faster in almost every test
    You don't really expect it to consistently beat the last generation dual GPU cards in every benchmark, do you? No single GPU card has ever done that before.

For now, the 7970 is hands down the fastest single GPU card on the planet. Surely AMD will release a dual GPU 7990 card sometime soon, which will then absolutely crush the 590 and 6990 if the 7970 is any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by leeenux View Post
    You don't really expect it to consistently beat the last generation dual GPU cards in every benchmark, do you?
    With that price? Hell yeah I expected that.

With that price? Hell yeah I expected that.
    I don't think you get how this works. AMD releases new 7970, with the fastest benchmarks around. Shitloads of gamers and consumers see the news. They go to buy a new card, but balk at the price tag of the 7970, so they pick _any other AMD card_ because hey AMD makes the fastest stuff around right now dontcha know. Go sit in a Fry's or Best Buy or whatever some time, and watch just how many people come in and make the most confoundingly ridiculous purchase decisions there are -- often with the "friendly advice" of an "expert" salesman -- based solely on misinterpreted or misquoted marketing gimmicks. Most people who consider themselves computer experts have no fucking clue what they're talking about or what they're doing. None whatsoever. They read PC Magazine, built their own PC once, bought the Professional edition of Windows, and once they managed to follow an online guide on uninstalling some virus without reinstalling the OS, so dammit they're experts now and you better show your respect for their stunning intellect! (Can you tell I worked support once upon a time?)

Prices drop down the line once there's competition, and maybe they start looking almost reasonable to buy (almost), but not really. Anyone paying even $300 for a GPU is doing something particularly stupid... like pissing away $100 more than any reasonable person ever needs to spend on a piece of computer hardware.

This is the exact same logic as the Extreme Edition CPUs from Intel, which very obviously do not beat the performance you can get from SMP with two medium previous-gen CPUs. They don't care. People buying the parts don't care. It's all about making sure the news says "Company <FOO> makes the fastest thing" and then people buy all the low-end crappy parts from FOO independent of how they stack up against the comparable items from FOO's competitors because advertising-fu works.

Or if you're the consumer, it's all about making sure that you can brag to your Internet gaming buddies that you have the fastest thing around and you're better than they are, because you don't have something better to do with your time/money (like someone who wants to sleep with you without asking for payment).

Quote Originally Posted by leeenux View Post
    You don't really expect it to consistently beat the last generation dual GPU cards in every benchmark, do you? No single GPU card has ever done that before.

For now, the 7970 is hands down the fastest single GPU card on the planet. Surely AMD will release a dual GPU 7990 card sometime soon, which will then absolutely crush the 590 and 6990 if the 7970 is any indication.
    I was not expecting it to do, but Q was claiming it is faster then the 590 based on the result of a single test (where the 7970 did very well). I just pointed out that he was talking about the exception, not the rule, and 7970 is not faster than 590 overall.

So, to make it clearer, I don't think 7970 is a bad performer, just don't over-hype it claiming it's the "fastest card on earth" like the title of this thread does, 7990 will be the card intended for absolute top performance.
    Last edited by Ansla; 12-26-2011 at 06:15 AM.