Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

Phoronix: Phasing Out SysVInit In openSUSE Raises Concerns

OpenSUSE 12.1 introduced support for systemd but it didn't defenestrate SysVinit as there are still some dependencies on this older init system. However, there's a proposal now to completely phase out SysVinit within openSUSE and it's been met by some mixed views...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Until RC I had some issues with systemd, but ever since 12.1 final was released not one problem.

Comment

I have used it on a desktop almost a year now and I haven't had any problems whatsoever (aside from few mistakes of my own). Once you try systemd there's no going back. This is just awesome.

Comment

I've been using systemd for 1 year on my arch installation. Some troubles at the very beginning, but running perfect since then.

Teho is right, once you try systemd, there's no going back.

Comment

Systemd has huge issues with NFS shares in openSUSE 12.1. It tries to mount before the service is started which leads to boot times measured in minutes. Switching back to SysVinit however resolves the issue and boot times are back to around the 30 second mark.

Comment

Never had any problems here whatsoever, and I have been using systemd since openSUSE 12.1 RC1 on two separate machines.

Comment

Michael

About your way of posting news.... you post:

"On one of my 64-bit systems, systemd would intermittently hang on boot and never succeed (I waited 2 hours one time.). The failure rate was about 2 in 5 tries."
              while the whole message reads:

On one of my 64-bit systems, systemd would intermittently hang on boot and never succeed (I waited 2 hours one time.). The failure rate was about 2 in 5 tries. I installed a new version with

zypper in -f

(all on one line, of course), and it has not failed in 10+ tries.
              why always the focus in the negative and going so far to even just quote the part that fits you ?

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
                Michael

About your way of posting news.... you post:

while the whole message reads:

why always the focus in the negative and going so far to even just quote the part that fits you ?
                This isn't his first lying (by omission) episode. I noticed he did it with Qt the other day so it would suggest they are going open core, when they are not. I don't know what his goal is with these lies, but it can't be good. Stirring up trouble? For what purpose? Anti-Free software agenda or just trying to create more hits by creating controversy?

Comment

Oh, there has also been straight lying (or maybe errors), without correction even after it was mentioned in the comments (and then it becomes lying).

I'm sure it's the fault of all those evil adblockers. So the sensationalism gets pagehits, and then people have to read the comments as well to get the whole (or at least a better) picture of the topic. That also explains hiding the source links (if they're even present), because that makes it easier to get people into the forum instead of other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                    I noticed he did it with Qt the other day so it would suggest they are going open core, when they are not. I don't know what his goal is with these lies, but it can't be good. Stirring up trouble? For what purpose? Anti-Free software agenda or just trying to create more hits by creating controversy?
                    FACT: At this very moment Digia is selling Qt Commercial with extra fixes. This is open core business.
                    FACT: Digia used this in their maketing. This is open core business.
                    FACT: Digia has not made any firm and official promise to end this[1].

Digia is doing open core busine$$!!

[1] yeah yeah it is real nice that some R&D bloke expressed his feelings about the upstreaming to Qt-project is broken. But he is not the guy to give us a firm promise that this was just an unfortunate fluke. What the R&D bloke is doing is expressing feeling that the Qt-lovers can identify with. It is by no means a firm promise with a deadline. It is just damage control.

So please stop accusing Phoronix for stirring up things. It is all Qts fault.
                    Last edited by funkSTAR; 20 December 2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X