Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris i7-3960X Scaling Performance

Phoronix: Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris i7-3960X Scaling Performance

Using the new Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge processor, Scientific Linux 6.1, Debian GNU/Linux, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, and Solaris 11 11/11 were benchmarked when having a different number of CPU cores enabled to see how well each operating system scales up to six cores plus Hyper Threading.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael,

"Time to compile" - "more is better" - really? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Michael,

"Time to compile" - "more is better" - really? WTF?
      All results are normalized as said in the article so on those graphs, yes, better is faster.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Check out the Phong rendering graph.

Is solaris scaling TOO well here?
        At the 2 core mark it looks like it is above 2 times better.
        I suppose the code could be written in such a way that it has too much overhead for small number of processors, but does anyone have any experience writing superscalable code that can say for sure?

Comment

Re: Check out the Phong rendering graph

(Disclaimer: I am the author of the renderer)

Indeed, I noticed that in the graph, too - but there's a simple explanation.
          The renderer is using simple OpenMP loops, of the form:

#ifdef USE_OPENMP
          #pragma omp parallel for
          #endif
          // Plot all the vertices of object i on the canvas
          for(int j=0; j<(int)_vertices.size(); j++) {

...so no, in theory it is impossible to see a speedup of more than 2x when using 2 threads instead of one - or a speedup of more than 4x when using 4 threads.

Unless... the single-core case is handled BADLY by Solaris.

Michael plotted the relative speedup when going from one core to 2, 4, 6, etc.
          In this case, the single-core running speed of Solaris ( as reported in the full benchmark results) is 21.06 frames per second, when Linux scored around 28 frames per second - in both cases, using a single core!

So, in effect, what we are seeing here is that Solaris is "punishing" single-core executions - i.e. the OpenMP library in Solaris handles single-core machines very badly.

P.S. Perhaps this affected other benchmarks too - it's easy for Solaris to appear to have better scalability, when the single-core performance is much worse than the other contenders (Linux and BSD in this case). For example, look at the speed of C-Ray when run with a single core under Solaris vs the other two (Linux/BSD) - it is about half as much (250 seconds vs 500 seconds). Solaris "punishes" single-core executions so much, that it appears to scale much better as more cores are introduced...

Thanassis.
          Last edited by ttsiodras; 20 December 2011, 12:28 PM. Reason: In hindsight, other benchmarks might be affected from this, too...

Comment

Working...
          X