Qt 4.8 Draws In Platform Abstraction, New WebKit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    There is no sings of Qt moving to "open core" model and Qt is definetly not marketed as such. Again claims like that require prominent proof or otherwise it's nothign but your own delusions gone wild.
    Lets ask Digia marketing.

Originally posted by Open Core business provider Digia
    Compared to the open-source Qt 4.8.0 there are 118 additional improvements in the Qt Commercial 4.8.0. Digia has contributed all these, and a large amount of other items to the open-source for inclusion to later Qt releases.
    What they say is "If you want our extra goodies you have to go for the commercial version".

ALERT: OPEN CORE BUSINESS MODEL DETECTED!

-And now I will let you come up with a million good excuses why this it is Open Core business. Have a nice one...

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      ALERT: OPEN CORE BUSINESS MODEL DETECTED!
      It's not. I guess you are refering to this line:
      Compared to the open-source Qt 4.8.0 there are 118 additional improvements in the Qt Commercial 4.8.0. Digia has contributed all these, and a large amount of other items to the open-source for inclusion to later Qt releases.
      Which Digia has commented in mailing lists:
      I want to underline that this is not the intended way of differentiating our offering. Going forward I hope that we can be more aligned. I would like to see most of the current delta integrated to Qt by the time of 4.8.1, if it is possibe
      You argument is now invalid and this was already covered in the first page of the topic.

Comment

It's not. I guess you are refering to this line:
        Which Digia has commented in mailing lists:

You argument is now invalid and this was already covered in the first page of the topic.
        LOOOOL! So this director guy paid by the commercial business is "sorry" for the unfortunate situation. Hell no. He is doing a simple job of damage control. He is not sorry, his company is f...ing doing a big marketing splash over their new open core business.

BTW I heard Microsoft announce that they are friends of the Earth and open source. I will encourage you to believe that as well. Geeez...

Comment

LOOOOL! So this director guy paid by the commercial business is "sorry" for the unfortunate situation. Hell no. He is doing a simple job of damage control. He is not sorry, his company is f...ing doing a big marketing splash over their new open core business.
          That is just wrong in so many levels:

1. Intentionally misinterpret a line of text to support your preset conculusion.
          2. Ingnore all the contrary evidence.
          3. Exaggerate the situation.
          4. Assume that guy on payroll is less trustworthy without a valid reason to believe so.
          5. Set yourself as authority without any merit.

I don't say that there is no possibility of Qt moving to open core model at some point but as it stands there's no reason to believe so. The reason for Qt Commercial is quite clearly stated on their website:
          You should develop with a Qt Commercial if you:

Need to incorporate proprietary software for mission-critical applications that prohibits use of open source software
          Need for product warranties & indemnities
          Need to secure that your software cannot be accessed or manipulated by end users

There's a difference between dual licensing and open core. I don't see why Nokia would have singed a deal that would eventually be harmful to themselves.

Comment

That is just wrong in so many levels:

1. Intentionally misinterpret a line of text to support your preset conculusion.
            2. Ingnore all the contrary evidence.
            3. Exaggerate the situation.
            4. Assume that guy on payroll is less trustworthy without a valid reason to believe so.
            5. Set yourself as authority without any merit.
            Wow. Grown up words! thumbs up. It is as void as the "sorry" director with the "best intentions". Digia is selling a commercial edition of Qt right now which contains stuff not included in qt-project.
            Let me spell that for you; O P E N C O R E B U S I N E S S ! ! !

Or will you deny the fact that Digia is selling the "better" Qt commercial at this very moment?

Comment

I was trying to point out how little sence what you write makes to anyone else than yourself. Writing like ten-year-old while trying to convey a point about open source software is just fucking ridiculous.

O P E N C O R E B U S I N E S S ! ! !
              Things aren't that simple. There are quite a few real reasons why some patches can't make it on Qt on time like different working cultures at Nokian and Digia and the not-so-open developement infrastucture of Qt which is being worked on (Qt Project). To call it a "business" quite clearly implies that it is intentional and I think that we have enough reason to believe that it's not. You can call it "open core business" as much as you want but that doesn't make it true.

Comment

You can call it "open core business" as much as you want but that doesn't make it true.
                Well.. It is happening right now isnt it!? Yes it is true. Digia is selling a closed source commercial "more value" edition of Qt. Nokia sure do like the money. It is not free to have a bunch of suits teaming up with Microsoft.

And how was it again? Qt is free. Yeah right.. It is just a lure for refuseniks who deny to realize how faulty the whole qt-project is. It has never been about free software or open governance. It is all about positioning Qt so it will keep its CLA and stay clear of forking. And it is working it seems. Qts future is being a puppet for the closed source business.

Comment

Qt is free. Yeah right.. It is just a lure for refuseniks who deny to realize how faulty the whole qt-project is.
                  I like how you set yourself above hunders of Qt and open source developers who actually have some insight on the situation and believe that they are played like puppets... And just a hint: stop bringing up Microsoft or any other company for that matter when they don't have anything to do with the topic; it might rise your credibility if even just a little. But yeah once again you managed to make a posts that brings nothing new to the table.

Comment

And just a hint: stop bringing up Microsoft or any other company for that matter when they don't have anything to do with the topic; it might rise your credibility if even just a little.
                    It has everything to do with the topic. Qts business model is broken. Giving away your freedom by signing a CLA which transfers the power and right to to a strategic partnership between Nokia and Microsoft is about the most stupid idea I ever heard. Add in some open core business from Digia and some notorious patent aggressions from Nokia and Microsoft then you have your self the anti freedom combo of the millennium. I would cheer for cancer before this.

Comment

Giving away your freedom by signing a CLA which transfers the power and right to to a strategic partnership between Nokia and Microsoft is about the most stupid idea I ever heard -- and some notorious patent aggressions from Nokia and Microsoft
                      The partnership nor the patent deals between Nokia and Microsoft have nothign to do with Qt and the CLA gives no rights whatsoever to Microsoft. There simply is no relation and if you insist there to be please provide sources for your claims.

Add in some open core business from Digia
                      I think this has already been covered; there's no basis for your claims.

If Qts business model is broken then it has always been and shouldn't be news to anyone. However it's open source software and if developers at somepoint come to a conclusion that it should be forked; they will do it. But as you can see; it is not happening. People who spent their time on developing software instead of spreading their delusions on forums have to think these things more practically and rationally. You don't fork projects because of some small possibility of something maybe happening sometime in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X