Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    Because few patches didn't make to Qt in time? You gotta to be fucking kidding me. I doubt that Digia even has right to do that as it would be harmful to Nokia and Qt in general.
    LOL. Digia is promoting Qt commercial for having these extra bugfixes! IT IS OPEN CORE BUSINESS. It it just was a unfortunate mistiming it would never end up in marketing.

So it is not a matter of Digia being sorry about this "mishap" is their business model for christs sake.

Enough about Digias open core business model. Now onto Nokias shameful patent attacks against Linux. Nokia wanna do it in style so the team up with Microsoft.
    Microsoft is party to the just-announced deal between Nokia and Mosaid, a Canadian patent licensing firm. The Redmond company has a "passive economic interest," its officials are saying.

They are hunting down phone producers whom deliver Android phones.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      LOL. Digia is promoting Qt commercial for having these extra bugfixes! IT IS OPEN CORE BUSINESS. It it just was a unfortunate mistiming it would never end up in marketing.

So it is not a matter of Digia being sorry about this "mishap" is their business model for christs sake.
      ... Of course it's going to end up in the marketing, Marketing types are going to latch onto anything they can get their paws on period.

The simple fact of the matter is that none of the Digia people had access to the repositories to do commits which you would know if you'd read the mailing list that was linked in the article, that is being fixed now.

and as addressed above their website clearly indicates that they're in the support business, not the software sales business. It's much as Redhat has RHEL but there's also CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc..

Enough about Digias open core business model. Now onto Nokias shameful patent attacks against Linux. Nokia wanna do it in style so the team up with Microsoft.
      Microsoft is party to the just-announced deal between Nokia and Mosaid, a Canadian patent licensing firm. The Redmond company has a "passive economic interest," its officials are saying.

They are hunting down phone producers whom deliver Android phones.
      Companies suing other companies in the field with the biggest litigation mess? how shocking! From the article it sounds like it's all hardware patents, there is no mention of Qt or software at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Companies suing other companies in the field with the biggest litigation mess? how shocking! From the article it sounds like it's all hardware patents, there is no mention of Qt or software at all.
        I gave you an example where Nokia teams up Microsoft to do a full blown patent attack on Android players. An yeah this also includes other patents than software patents. Because Nokia and Microsoft means business. They want to crush Linux smart phones. Now you show another example where a "prolinux" company sues another "prolinux" company. There must be plenty right? Thanks!

Comment

They want to crush Linux smart phones.
          That article doesn't refer to any patents related to Linux. The patent mess is sickening but simply suing a company that happens to use Linux doesn't make them anti-Linux. Microsoft's Android patent fees are example of anti-Linux activity but as far as I know that has nothing to do with Nokia and even less Qt.

But with your logic Oracle is an example of a company that is "prolinux" that has sued "prolinux" companies (Google Android's Dalvik (has nothign to do with Linux itself ofc)).

Comment

I just read this whole thread, and I feel like i need a shower

So much mud

Comment

NEWSFLASH. The Qt owners are already hurting linux phone producers.
              STOP. PLEASE. JUST.....STOP!!!

Even RMS quit his bitching about Qt. Go back to using your Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
                STOP. PLEASE. JUST.....STOP!!!

Even RMS quit his bitching about Qt. Go back to using your Ubuntu.
                STOP. Wait for 12.04, because current one is using mono. ;>

Comment

I think some people are misunderestimating the dire situation of Qt as an open source toolkit. Nokia is in bed with Microsoft so their focus is in mainly in promoting Microsoft technologies and getting them to work well with their handsets. Digia's primary focus is Qt commercial, they may throw some breadcrumbs to the open source community, but most if not all the new functionality they are developing is for Qt commercial customers.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                    I think some people are misunderestimating the dire situation of Qt as an open source toolkit. Nokia is in bed with Microsoft so their focus is in mainly in promoting Microsoft technologies and getting them to work well with their handsets. Digia's primary focus is Qt commercial, they may throw some breadcrumbs to the open source community, but most if not all the new functionality they are developing is for Qt commercial customers.
                    Yeah.

Qt failed as free software.
                    Qt failed as commercial software.
                    Still Qt marketing is pushing towards the worst of those two worlds; Open Core business. God save the Queen and Qts marketing team. Please tell ud a story about hundreds of developers and thuousands of commercial customers. We simply cant wait any longer!
                    Last edited by funkSTAR; 19 December 2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      Digia's primary focus is Qt commercial, they may throw some breadcrumbs to the open source community, but most if not all the new functionality they are developing is for Qt commercial customers.
                      To make claim like that you have to have at least somekind of proof. They have specifically said that they are going to stick as close to the open Qt as possible. Developing Qt from "outside" has been problematic in the past but that's about to change thanks to Qt Project.

Still Qt marketing is pushing towards the worst of those two worlds; Open Core business.
                      What Nokia/Trolltech has done for over a year now is open Qt developement as much as possible and the progress is still on going. There is no sings of Qt moving to "open core" model and Qt is definetly not marketed as such. Again claims like that require prominent proof or otherwise it's nothign but your own delusions gone wild.

As far as I know no Qt developers have been laid off after the move to Windows Phone and there have been rumors of both keeping Symbian and new Linux based mobile OS. It would be downright insane for Nokia to completly kill off all their software developement and that's why it's not going to happen.

Comment

Working...
                      X