Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A KDE Front-End To LightDM, Qt Bindings

Phoronix: A KDE Front-End To LightDM, Qt Bindings

LightDM, the promising light-weight and extensible display manager that became the default in Ubuntu 11.10, is receiving some KDE love...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love this.

Comment

LightDM causes crashes

I've discovered that, on my computer at least, LightDM causes crashes very consistently. If I login with LightDM, just touching the ctrl key can cause a crash. If I replace LightDM with LXDM or GDM, this problem goes away. And I'm not the first one to notice:

after login the lightdm crashes and no session is started. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 11.10 Package: lightdm 0.9.2-0ubuntu4 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-7.9-generic 3.0.0 Uname: Linux 3.0.0-7-generic x86_64 NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia Architecture: amd64 Date: Sat Jul 30 10:39:12 2011 ProcEnviron: LANG=de_AT.UTF-8 SHELL=/bin/bash SourcePackage: lightdm UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-07-26 (3 days ago)

Hi everybody! After several problems (apparently solved) with glib2 update and hostname; I'm now stuck at boot : after ubuntu logo, lightdm seems to crash and the screen blink (between "comand line" diplay , but without error messages, and "graphical" display,but just show the pointer) and stay stuck and blinking like that! With chroot i upgrade every thing, tried to reinstall lightdm, to reconfigure it but without success. I don't really understand from where come this bug! So if you have

I don't know how LightDM ever made it out of beta, let along become the default on Ubuntu 11.10. And now this "love" is going to be bestowed on KDE users.

My computer is an ASUS eeePC 1015P. Anyone else seeing this issue?
      Last edited by Candide; 14 December 2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candide View Post
        I don't know how LightDM ever made it out of beta, let along become the default on Ubuntu 11.10. And now this "love" is going to be bestowed on KDE users.
        As far as I know there's currently no plans to make LightDM the default DM on KDE and even if that's going to happen it will take time. Well the first distro to use it is probably Kubuntu 12.04 but that again is their own choise.

I personally love the idea. Plasma integration quite simply makes it the most powerful display manager out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          I personally love the idea. Plasma integration quite simply makes it the most powerful display manager out there.
          Plasma integration for KDM is already in the works. I am not sure if it is going to appear before frameworks 5, though.

Comment

So far, LightDM is a complete disaster on decent desktop environments I've tried it on.

On the flip side, LightDM is fantastic on the worst desktop I've ever used. (Unity) Hardly a surprise since that's the only thing Canonical is serious about.

At least they didn't try lobbing that trainwreck into Kubuntu 11.10. It's bad enough that it's in Xubuntu, unthemed, with broken power management policy and no automatic login support. I wonder if we will dodge this particular bullet in Kubuntu 12.04. It's probably not that hard to clobber it and go back to KDM. But for crying out loud, quit removing stable functional software from upstream and replacing it with your own version 0.1 garbage heaps. It makes more work for me, the user, to get a system that works right.

Comment

Working...
            X