Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 3960X Extreme Edition On Linux

By now you have likely heard of the Core i7 3960X processor, which is one of the Sandy Bridge Extreme CPUs that was launched in November by Intel to much excitement and talked about quite a bit on Phoronix in the past few days. In this article is a comprehensive look at the Intel Core i7 3960X performance under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am really, really surprised how well the FX-8150 did. It seems to perform much, much better under Linux than Windows. Does anyone else notice this?

Comment

It's kinda sad Intel Core i7 2600 wasn't included, as HT in it helps to gain some noticeable increases in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        I am really, really surprised how well the FX-8150 did. It seems to perform much, much better under Linux than Windows. Does anyone else notice this?
        The Himeno benchmark result left me scratching my head though.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          It's kinda sad Intel Core i7 2600 wasn't included, as HT in it helps to gain some noticeable increases in performance.
          I would have loved to include it, but those were just the modern CPUs I have in my possession...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Given that the benchmark are open and public, perhaps someone on future can make a comparison using a system with two Amd Opteron 6238 (the cost is the same as the single Intel cpu).
            Sure the ammount of power consumption should be more high but despite the lower clock i think could outperform the actual result.

Comment

Originally posted by alelinuxbsd View Post
              Given that the benchmark are open and public, perhaps someone on future can make a comparison using a system with two Amd Opteron 6238 (the cost is the same as the single Intel cpu).
              Sure the ammount of power consumption should be more high but despite the lower clock i think could outperform the actual result.
              True true!

Benchmarking of sandy bridge and sandy bridge ex VS bulldozer and interlagos in categories:
              - single thread number crunching,
              - multiple thread number crunching,
              - massive multiple thread number crunching,
              - db requests

and measuring performance, task-switching ef.(how responsible system is), power drain, core load
              on lastest nonRC kernel,

would be 1A article!

A lot of AMD supporters (no offence) claim that bulldozer is better at responsibility, or that interlagos, while costing same is heaps ahead.
              This is needed to be cleared out. I think not only AMD, but Intel may be interested in this. Very probably someone owning such CPUs would cooperate and participate benching via openbenchmarking benchprofile.
              There are zero articles on the web with that comparison.

Comment

I think that on single thread a similar Amd system haven't any hope to outperform this Intel solution, so i'm more curious about multiple thread applications.
                On similar scenario i think could outperform the follow result:
                Building The Linux Kernel In 60 Seconds
                Also could be a good system, for:
                fullHD movie conversion
                heavy cpu rendering
                and some other specific thing.
                For build a specific workstation machine and don't for general use.
                The Gpu alternative could be nice (despite the quality is more or less lower) but until Intel is obstinate at don't give this opportunity at Linux user while the other should rely on proprietary driver from nVidia/Ati ... the brute force of the Cpu remain the only thing usable for full open driver Linux users.

Comment

Today i noticed that exist even the Intel? Core? i7-3930K with few differences compared to the Intel? Core? i7-3960X but with half the cost.
                  I bet that even the performance will be roughly equivalent between these two models.
                  At that point, with half on the budget, amd can't compete at all even on the workstation market.

Comment

I just built a i7 3820 machine and will benchmark against this set of tests tonight. For some prelim benchmarks, here is my machine @ 4.3GHz against 8150/990x/etc.

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Working...
                    X