Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Features Approved For Fedora 17

Phoronix: New Features Approved For Fedora 17

There was a FESCo (Fedora Engineering Steering Committee) meeting held today where several new features were approved for the Fedora 17 feature list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

btrfs as default? that filesystem is in real live applications like live image creation using live-build (debian) slow as hell - takes several times longer than the same tried with ext4. Is there any special mount option needed that this task is getting faster or is their usual fedora dev workload so much differnent...

Comment

Brtfs as default file system? They must be mad. I would never put my data on a such filesystem. It doesn't even have a fsck file system check. How can they even consider moving to Btrfs?

Comment

Thanks but no thanks. I will never use the Oracle FS.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
          It doesn't even have a fsck file system check. How can they even consider moving to Btrfs?
          Note that Btrfs does not yet have a fsck tool that can fix errors. While Btrfs is stable on a stable machine, it is currently possible to corrupt a filesystem irrecoverably if your machine crashes or loses power on disks that don't handle flush requests correctly. This will be fixed when the fsck tool is ready.
          https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/

Fedora's feature plans are flexible and if fsck for BTRFS isn't ready in time they will simply stay with ext4 until next release.

Contingency Plan
          We can just keep ext4 as the default installed file system.

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
          Thanks but no thanks. I will never use the Oracle FS.
          That's rich.
          Btrfs is licensed under the GPL and open for contribution from anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            btrfs as default? that filesystem is in real live applications like live image creation using live-build (debian) slow as hell - takes several times longer than the same tried with ext4. Is there any special mount option needed that this task is getting faster or is their usual fedora dev workload so much differnent...
            Josef Basik, Red Hat Btrfs filesystem developer is working on this problem. This is one of the things (along with fsck) that must be in place for Fedora 17. If not, Ext4 will stay as default.

Comment

Glad to see official support for D2! (Though I use Arch myself...)

Comment

What do they mean by D2 support? GDC installed by default? LLVM D compiler installed by default? DMD installed by default? Something entirely different?

Comment

In fact if I am to believe Fedora's wiki, D2 was included in Fedora 16 already. Also, they are shipping LDC, not DMD.

Comment

i wonder if ext4 -> btrfs will be handled in the way as gnome2 -> gnome3. i.e. drop ext4 from the distro, and call anyone who does not want to 'upgrade' a luddite, or suggest that they use fat32. that would be fun. :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X