Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 3960X Sandy-E Takes Big Dive On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 3960X Sandy-E Takes Big Dive On Linux

While the thousand-dollar Intel Core i7 3960X "Sandy Bridge" Extreme Edition processor can build the Linux kernel in under 60 seconds, this morning it took a nasty dive under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Gone in Sixty Seconds"

Comment

Bent/burned pin on the socket? Those little bastards are very fragile and there are several reports of some motherboards (in the past at least) that already had some burned pins straight out of the factory.

Comment

my overclocked core 2 duo system randomly doesn't boot whatever you spit to it, linux, windows..., the (software) uefi goes like kernel panic if it doesn't like the hdd configuration and so on... crappy motherboards is your problem...
        and like phoronix didn't have 10 news last day it needed one more...

Comment

..., I'm still loving the Core i7 3960X
          If I had a Ferrari, I'd love it too. Until I win the lottery, neither the aforementioned Ferrari nor a $1000 proc is worth it for me, however.

Comment

I can actually verify this problem (I have a 3930k). I can't remember if I was able to get it installed, however. Pretty much identical stack track, symptoms, etc.

Comment

please do a google search first before whining...

Comment

Nope, tried it, still not booting.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is the system using an OCZ Vertex 3? If so, what firmware version?

Comment

arch linux

I built an 3930k with an msi x79ma-gd45 and 4x8GB g.skill kit N82E16820231507.

I plugged drives into the SATA 3g connections (both 3.5" 7200rpm drives).
                    Running arch linux the only problems I had was the memory seating in the board.
                    For some reason these new boards seem to only have tension levers on one side of the ram, not on both.

Comment

Working...
                    X