No announcement yet.

Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now I'm using the Chrome dev channel with a bunch of override flags and Chrome Adblock (unrelated to Adblock Plus which will eventually port this nonsense to their Chrome version).

The reason for my moving over to Chrome and Chrome Adblock is because there's finally (recent Chrome with override switches) a way to get Chrome Adblock to kill off every ad, every bad element, and every pop under or pop up.

I'm just so pissed off by the way Firefox is going that this Adblock Plus nonsense from Wladimir Palant has been the last straw and has completely pushed me over the edge.

Here's a new one for Michael.

If I want to print something from your site, and don't want to waste my printer ink on your skyscraper ads (because printer ink is very expensive), and I only flipped on Adblock to not waste ink, am I "stealing"?

Don't you in fact harm your users that want to use the print function if you lock out anyone who blocks ads, even if they only do it to not waste a lot of very very expensive ink?

Comment

I had read somewhere that the printer ink is actually one of the most expensive fluids ever sold, so this is actually a very good point.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
        Right now I'm using the Chrome dev channel with a bunch of override flags and Chrome Adblock (unrelated to Adblock Plus which will eventually port this nonsense to their Chrome version).

The reason for my moving over to Chrome and Chrome Adblock is because there's finally (recent Chrome with override switches) a way to get Chrome Adblock to kill off every ad, every bad element, and every pop under or pop up.

I'm just so pissed off by the way Firefox is going that this Adblock Plus nonsense from Wladimir Palant has been the last straw and has completely pushed me over the edge.

Here's a new one for Michael.

If I want to print something from your site, and don't want to waste my printer ink on your skyscraper ads (because printer ink is very expensive), and I only flipped on Adblock to not waste ink, am I "stealing"?

Don't you in fact harm your users that want to use the print function if you lock out anyone who blocks ads, even if they only do it to not waste a lot of very very expensive ink?
        I have never heard of anybody that has wanted to print an article that they can read online, ever. That point is not valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i know a lot of these people- most of my customers for example.

money don't care for them and they don't want read in front of the pc.

they want it print and read like a news paper.

(no this isn't a joke)
          So if money doesn't care to them they don't care about ink prices so then using ink on ads doesn't matter... and if money isn't a limitation such people if printing off Phoronix pages might as well subscribe to Phoronix Premium.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'll give you a better example.

My mom doesn't have a computer.

She wants me to look up an article or recipe or something and print out a hard copy for her.

The site has 2/3rds ads, like Phoronix does, and I don't want to triple my ink usage to print out a chicken recipe or something.

I turn adblock on and reload the page so I use about a third of the ink, which is more expensive per ounce than Russian caviar.

Have I "stolen" from or "harmed" the site? If so, is it to an unreasonable degree considering ink is more expensive than Russian caviar?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              i also know people with printing stuff from the internet and they care for money

sure in my point of view this is stupid. if i need to print something i copy past the stuff and edit it and print this cleaned pdf file.
              I suppose you could print to PDF, open it in LibreOffice, meticulously fix the formatting problems and sanitize it of ads, and then send it to your printer.

You could also make coffee by building a greenhouse, planting seeds, waiting for the plant to mature, removing the seed pods one at a time, roasting them, grinding them yourself, and then preparing the beverage from there.

Comment

Why would anyone who cares about money print things with ink? If you print so much that ink costs matter, get a laser.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  Why would anyone who cares about money print things with ink? If you print so much that ink costs matter, get a laser.
                  I have better things to spend money on than printing out Michael's Sweaty Steve Skyscraper Sucktitude.

Comment

Back on topic, one of the Reddit posters mentioned something I didn't even notice.

Wladimir Palant unblocked Sedo in his "ignore the user and sneak ads in through the back door" list.

Sedo runs parking pages and typosquatting sites. Can't have them going under can we?

I wonder how much he made off of those parasites in exchange for whitelisting them.

Comment

You guys do realize someone will just fork the project right? That ABP is a fork of the original Adblock that was abandoned by it's creator at some point but worked throughout at least the 3.0 series as I had left it running by removing the version check long before by editing the .xpi.

In the end I expect someone to already be working on a fork just as BeefTACO arose from the ashes of TACO when the creator sold out.

Problem with Chrome is it's put out by Google and Google is no better then Apple, Microsoft or Oracle. They are a for profit company and are selling you on a noose to hang yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X