Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acrazyplayer View Post
    Imagine you own a store, people walk in, don't buy anything, then walk out. Do you ban them from ever coming in again? Do you make it so anyone walking in the store has to buy something? Or do you let them walk around and keep coming in, hoping that they buy something eventually? I know what I would choose.
    That one is ridiculous.

People who choose to walk into a store are usually there because they want to make a purchase that they planned in advance. If I type in www.amazon.com, I probably want to buy something there. Advertisements are an appeal to impulse buyers.

Saying that people who don't spend their hard earned money on crap they don't need are thieves makes anyone that walks through the checkout at Walmart without buying magazines, candy bars, or "as seen on TV" crap a "thief".

A more suitable analogy to the anti-adblock argument is the people who don't buy impulse crap are "thieves" because it is what they are saying.

Comment

It is really annoying to see people arguing over such a topic...
      I spend all I can afford to support sites that I visit frequently, where this is possible. Why? I matured to hate parasitism. I even deleted my whole pirated library because of that. I believe there should be only two types of content on the net: truly free content without ads (donations acceptable) and content paid for only directly (again, no ads, pure paywall). I see no place for ad industry, as it is a parasite itself.
      Actually I got surprised recently when I wanted to renew the Phoronix subscription and it turned out to be 3-month long, not 1, so I could spend the money on other site I visit. I am sure if mr Michael had more income, he could focus on quality of articles, instead of fighting to push as much content as possible to generate the ad impressions. Maybe even hire a partner to do the testing. So instead of grumbling over quality of content - support Phoronix by buying subscriptions, tipping and sending hardware! This is the only way you can increase the quality of the site.
      And yes, I use adblock, but I am justified, as I bought the subscription. Regarding the topic itself: if this shit about allowed sites gets to stable adblock, what alternative for Chrome exists? I have to prepare myself for the change, but I don't have the time to filter through the addons database, so I hope someone already knows the good replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
        We all should. *sigh*

I used to turn it off because all Flash did was display annoying ads.

Then someone got the idea to use it as a video player so you had to deal with it in some contexts.
        No, you never should have installed it. My main browser has no flash, adblock, noscript. Makes for very peaceful browsing. I do have a chrome with flash for the rare instances where it is needed, but with clive (and optionally a little helper script that pipes its output directly to mplayer) and youtube's html5 option I don't usually miss it (and hopefully sway server statistics a bit into the "no flash" direction).

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
        Regarding the topic itself: if this shit about allowed sites gets to stable adblock, what alternative for Chrome exists?
        Or you just go into the adblock options and make it block everything. The suggestion (and at this point it isn't definitely going to be included) was to let "acceptable ads" through by default, but with an option to disable that.

Comment

Well, I tend to drop my support for back-stabbers even if they have the best product available.

Comment

Even visiting a site with adblock helps becuase then the site can say "I get xxx unique visitors a month."

Comment

Here is the link to the adblock plus explanation page: https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

If you are thinking of posting in this thread, please read this page first in order to stay informed and on-topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                i found out that flash kills any webM-Html5 speed on youtube in full screen.

because if you use flash in full screen it turn of the ads to render but if you use html5 in full screen the flash ads on other tabs are renderet at full speed.

because of this i can not use html5+webM or i need to install adblock or flashblock.
                You're probably doing it wrong.

Opera 12 with GPU acceleration or Chromium 17 with mesa git builds and all GPU acceleration overrides on smokes Adobe Trash with HTML 5 video.

Comment

Well, no reason to complain, as we can all disable the new feature if we don't like it.

I most certainly will be disabling it.

While i can appreciate adblock's effort in trying to improve the web's annoying advertising situation (if that is in fact, what they are trying to do - kinda sounds like BS to me. - ie: coaxing better advertising habits out of companies/entities, that will be able to advertise through adblock, if they meet the guidelines ... But, in the end -> i don't care. I don't want any advertisements on my screen, so i've disabled it all, which is valid too.

That being said, i think this is a good move for adblock - some people will value this feature, and make good use of it - in turn someone will profit from it down the line. Good for them. For those of us, who don't buy into it (pay into it?), at least AdBlock can still be called Adblock - because obviously, if you couldn't disable this feature, they would have to change the name to 'AdFilter' because it no longer blocks Ad's, only filtered out the ones that don't meet 'Adblock standards'.

my 2cents

EDIT: and to whomever, posted about disabling ad's as being an 'issue of morality' (disabling ad's is immoral?). That is retarded. it has absolutely nothing to do with morality.

If we don't want to help some individual/company/entity make money off of advertising, then we don't have to. If their only way to make money is advertising, then maybe they should reconsider their current business model, and certainly they shouldn't expect that i will inconvenience myself, so that they can pocket some money.
                  Last edited by ninez; 14 December 2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Preaching to the quire, message all wrong

Hi,

Interesting thread, my main take on the subject is that Adblock plus allowing "acceptable" ads is totally fine, if you don't like it, fork it and stop being childish:

With regards to the Microsoft ads on Phoronix, an analogy that comes to mind would be if you died and went to heaven, when you get there God is walking around putting up flashy signs about how awesome it is down in hell. While sitting on your cloud and reading the bible or whatever, these signs for hell keep flashing into view and distracting you. You start taking these signs down but God and some other angels tell you that it is immoral. That's how stupid this situation is to me and it's one reason that my visits to Phoronix are an absolute last resort on a dry news day, as opposed to it being the first port of call it was when i first discovered the site.

Having a Linux focused site with heavy Microsoft advertising is sending all the wrong messages and the site owner could do himself a favour (increase traffic) by, at the very, least choosing more relevant ads.

Comment

Meh... I use Adblock to get rid of the "bling bling BLING BLING IN YOOOOOOOOOOUR FAAAAAAAAAAAACE click now!" ads.
                      If any of the ads deemed acceptable fall too often in that category for my taste, I'll use the appropriate checkbox, as mentioned on the page that popped up after Firefox updated the add-on.
                      Beside the post-installation reminder, they made the change public before hand. So I don't feel betrayed in any way.
                      "Problem" solved.
                      Too much time spent needlessly complaining, that could be poured into much more constructive activities instead, seriously...

Originally posted by mrintegrity View Post
                      Having a Linux focused site with heavy Microsoft advertising is sending all the wrong messages and the site owner could do himself a favour (increase traffic) by, at the very, least choosing more relevant ads.
                      That used to bother me too, now I find it funny. They extort Android handset manufacturers, the least they could do is pay for Linux website hosting.
                      Now if you mean that they produce too much PR noise so as to undermine smaller FOSS players' ability to advertise their wares, then yes, ad space allocation should be reviewed.
                      Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 15 December 2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X