Adblock Plus betraying its users with so-called Acceptable Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Because I have expenses too.... I don't work up to 100 hours per week for the hell of it.
    Maybe we can do something about some of those expenses. How much does your hosting cost and what are your requirements? Some of us might have suggestions on how to get similar quality hosting at a lower price.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Maybe we can do something about some of those expenses. How much does your hosting cost and what are your requirements? Some of us might have suggestions on how to get similar quality hosting at a lower price.
      Hosting is only a very small part of the equation...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Hosting is only a very small part of the equation...
        I'd imagine most of the money is spent on power / equipment / food amirite

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
          I'd imagine most of the money is spent on power / equipment / food amirite
          Plus travel for conferences, housing costs, living expenses, etc.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Also, most ads are loaded asynchronously via javascript so no it doesn't slow down the web page as it doesn't have to load the ads to load the page (and in fact it loads the page before it then loads the ad).
            Reflow problems ahoy!

I agree on improving premium / forum detection in general. Right now the forum doesn't even remember my login when I come here directly, and now I read it would prevent Kontera ads. (vbulletin not liking Opera I guess, it started after one of the forum upgrades).

Comment

Longer forum cookie expiration is a must, because right now it's easier to use adblock, than "rss->phoronix->phoronix forum/login-> phoronix" once a day (or even frequently) to see an article without ads.
              Also ads is really slowing down page loading (firefox here).

Comment

Wait, what? I said blocking ads that get in the way is significantly more reasonable than blocking ads that go in otherwise unused space.
                But still immoral? Inherently? For me, at some point I feel fully justified to block ads.

This automatic whitelist thingy might be a good way to reward non-annoying ads though, better than just continuing the armsrace to be more and more annoying.

Comment

Back to the topic

For me this is really about acceptable ads and non acceptable ads.
                  I have addblock and noscript however I have whitelisted Phoronix.com in both, because I trust Michael and Phoronix. However there is no way I'll ever whitelist all the others sites that try to run scripts through Phoronix. For example Noscript shows those are trying to run scripts from Phoronix main site: collective-media.net, tribalfusion.com, scorecardresearch.com, betrad.com, adnxs.com, exponential.com etc...
                  I have no idea what are those sites and I'll ever allow them.

BTW I'm totally cool with simple text ads, google ads, etc...

Comment

in short: a bunch of freeloaders are whining because their freeloading might become a little bit less comfortable in the distant future.

There is a word for such kind of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie889 View Post
                      For me this is really about acceptable ads and non acceptable ads.
                      I have addblock and noscript however I have whitelisted Phoronix.com in both, because I trust Michael and Phoronix. However there is no way I'll ever whitelist all the others sites that try to run scripts through Phoronix. For example Noscript shows those are trying to run scripts from Phoronix main site: collective-media.net, tribalfusion.com, scorecardresearch.com, betrad.com, adnxs.com, exponential.com etc...
                      I have no idea what are those sites and I'll ever allow them.

BTW I'm totally cool with simple text ads, google ads, etc...
                      And how many "trustworthy" sites have been hit with ads that load spyware and other malware? No site is immune unless they host the ads from their own servers.

Ads are a waste of space, signifigantly eating up screen space, not to mention eating bandwidth, ram and CPU for those on older hardware or on metered connections.

So what next Larabel? Having the page reload every 30 seconds to further inflate your page views? Because this is how a serious site should look http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/print...ly-Review/1426

Comment

Working...
                      X