Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KahelOS: An Easy-To-Use Version Of Arch Linux

Phoronix: KahelOS: An Easy-To-Use Version Of Arch Linux

If you have been wanting to dabble with Arch Linux but don't want to jump directly into this leading rolling-release Linux distribution, you may want to give KahelOS a shot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I suspect that Michael forgot about Gentoo again.

Comment

Looks really nice. Im pretty unhappy with the current Ubuntu and until seeing this I was intending to go for Mint, may be more adventurous and give this a shot I think

Comment

the screenshots are not gnome-shell. They are gnome fallback mode.

Comment

ArchBang is another easy to use Arch installer that installs the lightweight OpenBox window manager instead of the KDE or Gnome full desktop environments. I have been very happy with it -- makes good use of command key shortcuts.

Comment

Hmm... if this distro comes with Gnome then it isn't really an "easy" way to try Arch, but rather a distro built on top of Arch, because the Arch way is to give the user freedom of choice in every aspect of the system. That of course presents the biggest issue to anyone wishing to try it out. If the person doesn't have much experience with linux distros in general, or doesn't have access to another computer during install (to get help and read the excellent documentation that Arch has) they will probably hit a brick wall once the Arch installation process finishes, the system reboots and they're greeted with a nice little blinking cursor on the command line.

Comment

psh, it doesn't come with the program I made for arch, altho it's only in english so maybe it wouldn't help out their native users too well.

Either way, seems pretty cool that someone made an Arch installation that takes out the annoying work of installing Arch, however, I agree with the previous poster that it does somewhat take away the purpose of using Arch since it's meant to give you more of a choice than what this distro offers. On the other hand, nothing says you can't just uninstall the stuff it comes with and nothing says Arch is supposed to be as tedious to install as it is. Even though I'm an extensive Arch user, it is the most annoying distro to set up that I've tried, other than gentoo.

Comment

Originally posted by whelanh View Post
                ArchBang is another easy to use Arch installer that installs the lightweight OpenBox window manager instead of the KDE or Gnome full desktop environments. I have been very happy with it -- makes good use of command key shortcuts.
                I have tried ArchBang and it's quite nice even on my old Thinkpad as well as on my trusty AMD64 X2 rig (which is now nearly 5 years old)

Arch really is coming into its own and distros such as Chakra (KDE based), KahelOS(Gnome) and ArchBang (Openbox) make it really easy for people to get their feet wet in the Arch world.

I'd surely like to see these distros also maintain 100% compatibility with native Arch repos and packages so that you can then customize your installation easily.
                Last edited by DeepDayze; 11 December 2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X