Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Road To OpenCL, R600g LLVM Back-End Arrives

Phoronix: In Road To OpenCL, R600g LLVM Back-End Arrives

Before calling it a week, Tom Stellard at AMD published a Git branch that offers up an LLVM shader back-end for the AMD R600 Gallium3D driver. This is one of the steps in bringing Compute/OpenCL support to the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: In Road To OpenCL, R600g LLVM Back-End Arrives

Before calling it a week, Tom Stellard at AMD published a Git branch that offers up an LLVM shader back-end for the AMD R600 Gallium3D driver. This is one of the steps in bringing Compute/OpenCL support to the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyNTg
    Very cool. I'll be anxiously awaiting more news about this.

Comment

this are the stuf that will make Clover HW accelerated right?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        this are the stuf that will make Clover HW accelerated right?
        This will make any gallium interface accelerated. Clover needs to support HW acceleration on a gallium interface first though, but this is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
          This will make any gallium interface accelerated. Clover needs to support HW acceleration on a gallium interface first though, but this is a step in the right direction.
          if i get the whole G3D thing right (which i probably don't) the order is somehow like App(graphics or something) >> OpenGL >> TGSI >> HW >>magic on the screen

with toms work App(graphics or something) >> OpenGL >> LLVM to TGSI >> HW >> magic on the screen

so if Clover has (or gets) an llvm backend will be accelerated

yes the question might be stupid or trivial to some so i appologize

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            with toms work App(graphics or something) >> OpenGL >> LLVM to TGSI >> HW >> magic on the screen
            Well, that would actually look like this:

App(graphics or something) >> OpenGL (G3D state tracker) >> TGSI (G3D's IR of choice) >> LLVM IR >> LLVM backend for AMD cards >> HW >> magic on the screen

I'm just speaking about the code, no runtime or anything.

Comment

I think the idea is to let clover feed LLVM IR directly into the driver while continuing to support TGSI for graphics. Anyways, the cool thing is that once the code can go from LLVM IR to hardware instructions all kinds of interesting things can be built on top.
              Test signature

Comment

I don't get all this hype about OpenCL. I'm sure that there are some specialized niche applications making use of OpenCL but as a consumer I'd rather see AMD devoting some manpower to finally get video decoding working on the open drivers.

Comment

It currently looks something like this:

App -> OpenGL -> GLSL IR -> TGSI -> hardware

The new stack allows this:

App -> OpenGL -> GLSL IR -> TGSI -> LLVM -> hardware

But in the long run, it would make this possible:

App -> OpenCL -> LLVM -> hardware,

as well as

App -> OpenGL -> GLSL IR -> LLVM -> hardware

Comment

If I remember correctly, clover already generates LLVM IR which it then usually compiles down to x86/x86_64. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get clover to use the r600g LLVM back-end to compile the CL kernels for execution on a graphics card. Then the kernels just have to be copied to video memory and scheduled (yes, I'm simplifying a bit).

Comment

Working...
                    X