Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will OpenGL 3.0 Still Land In Mesa This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will OpenGL 3.0 Still Land In Mesa This Year?

Phoronix: Will OpenGL 3.0 Still Land In Mesa This Year?

Back at XDC2011 Chicago plans were laid by Intel OSTC developers to have OpenGL 3.0 support in Mesa before year's end, but with three weeks left to 2011, will they make this deadline?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How much work to get it into the other drivers? I thought the OpenGL3 implementation was in the shared code and not specific drivers, so what's the ratio there? How much of the work will automatically end up in the other drivers (since they are in shared code paths) and how much must be done on specific driver level?

How much of this work will automatically go into the software/virtualization drivers?

Comment

/me was surprised Intel could not do vertex textures before this.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        How much work to get it into the other drivers? I thought the OpenGL3 implementation was in the shared code and not specific drivers, so what's the ratio there? How much of the work will automatically end up in the other drivers (since they are in shared code paths) and how much must be done on specific driver level?

How much of this work will automatically go into the software/virtualization drivers?
        1. A lot of it is in the GLSL compiler, which is shared.

2. A lot is in common Mesa code, which is shared.

3. A lot is in the Mesa state tracker, which is shared between Gallium drivers only.

4. And a lot is in driver specific code as well - for starters, the drivers now have be able to handle integers and pass those to the hardware correctly, which is going to be hardware specific.

Intel is working on #1 and #2. My impression is that #3 and #4 is close, but still pretty buggy and someone needs to finish that off. I don't know if that's going to happen for the 8.0 release or not.

The software paths will mostly work using the shared code in #3, and there is ongoing work to make sure that the driver specific parts are working as well.

Comment

I really hope GLX_ARB_create_context_profile will be supported soon, it's so annoying to have a fallback in the context creation.

Comment

Working...
          X