Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Gets Ready For FreeBSD 9.0

Phoronix: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Gets Ready For FreeBSD 9.0

It's not only the FreeBSD and PC-BSD camps gearing up for the imminent release of FreeBSD 9.0, but Debian developers have already been gearing up for the major update of this leading BSD distribution as they prepare to pull in its new kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still trying to figure out why people are even running FreeBSD any more...

I mean, having a Debian GNU/HURD I could understand.. But it seems to me that offering another monolithic kernel written in C as an alternative to a monolithic kernel written in C seems a bit redundant.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 09 December 2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post

I mean, having a Debian GNU/HURD I could understand.. But it seems to me that offering another monolithic kernel written in C as an alternative to a monolithic kernel written in C seems a bit redundant.
      Running ZFS with Debian seems like a good motivation to me.

Comment

Originally posted by marwi509 View Post
        Running ZFS with Debian seems like a good motivation to me.
        Some may loose their motivation when everyone will use systemd except Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Some may loose their motivation when everyone will use systemd except Debian.
          That's alright, Debian will reinvent systemd in 7 years and act like it is new.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            That's alright, Debian will reinvent systemd in 7 years and act like it is new.
            7 years? It's already in Debian testing and will be in Debian stable at the end of 2012... Where do you get 7 years from?

Comment

7 years? It's already in Debian testing and will be in Debian stable at the end of 2012... Where do you get 7 years from?
              Yep, 7 years. It took Debian 7 years to be able to install a 32 bit application in a 64 bit environment, why wouldn't it take them 7 years to re-invent the wheel that was re-invented by Red Hat to solve their 6 minute boot time?

Comment

Yep, 7 years. It took Debian 7 years to be able to install a 32 bit application in a 64 bit environment,
                Why would you install a 32-bit application in a 64-bit environment? Just recompile it to be 64-bit... I've never hear of it taking 7 years to be able to install 32-bit apps in a 64-bit environment, you just install the ia32-libs and you should have everything.. ia32-libs has been there in the 64-bit environment for ages..

why wouldn't it take them 7 years to re-invent the wheel that was re-invented by Red Hat to solve their 6 minute boot time?
                Where do you get 6 minute boot time from? A typical Debian install is a lot leaner than the overwhelming majority of other distros out there. My 5 year old single-core 2.0 Ghz Pentium-M Laptop boots in <1 minute to a KDE desktop with Amarok and a web browser opened at startup not to mention the animated GRUB boot splash....and it's got a 5400RPM hard drive.
                Last edited by Sidicas; 10 December 2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

If Debian won't stop trying to be multi OS then I doubt if it will be possible for them to switch to systemd.

Comment

Why? There are like tens of million things that have tons of very similar alternatives, and yet they live (happily) next to each other. Why would it be a problem for a kernel/OS?

More practical answer: ZFS, Dtrace, preferring BSD license over GPL, ...

Comment

Working...
                    X