Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Driver Support State For Radeon HD 7000 Series, Trinity

Some whispers to me: AMD will announce in February that they favor the open source driver for the next gen graphic architecture on the Linux market and the android market.

This means full speed on GCN for OpenGL,OpenCL and Video-acceleration.
    This also means full audio support for GCN

Then the catalyst become a driver only for workstation consumers and copy-protection stuff like DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    Some whispers to me: AMD will announce in February that they favor the open source driver for the next gen graphic architecture on the Linux market and the android market.

Then the catalyst become a driver only for workstation consumers and copy-protection stuff like DRM.
    I think many of us would be very happy because of this.
    However, I fear this is just wishful thinking, because mesa does not have opengl, opencl nor is there proper power management, etc. Add to this the limited number of devs working on this and the end result is either incomplete driver support for their "best" cards under Linux or just simply won't happen.

You forgot /dream_mode tags

Quote Originally Posted by crazycheese View Post
    You forgot /dream_mode tags
    not really.

I interpolate this because I received information about the biggest game changer open-source announcement for years on the FOSDEM 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    I think many of us would be very happy because of this.
    However, I fear this is just wishful thinking, because mesa does not have opengl, opencl nor is there proper power management, etc. Add to this the limited number of devs working on this and the end result is either incomplete driver support for their "best" cards under Linux or just simply won't happen.
    for R600 amd can't go this way because they are 5 years to late.
    but the new architecture is different they start with the open source driver 1 year before release.

with the same staff for example 4 Dev's work 5 years longer on 1 driver and the result is? (only dump people think 4 dev's do nothing in 5 years).
    but why the same staff? now calculate with a bigger staff because of the windows port of the radeon driver +5years extra.
    and now imagine this: AMD's next gen Opteron Architecture is a "APU" based on this graphic architecture.
    AMD CPU company side makes up to 30% of there turnover on the Linux market.
    sure only 1-2% on the Desktop but much more on the server market and the next "Opteron" is a APU.
    do you think the server Linux (CPU) customers start to use closed source ? never! many CPU customers will not use a driver like catalyst.

they focus on the opensource driver or the CPU customers will not use this Opteron-APU.

for R600 amd can't go this way because they are 5 years to late.
    but the new architecture is different they start with the open source driver 1 year before release.

with the same staff for example 4 Dev's work 5 years longer on 1 driver and the result is? (only dump people think 4 dev's do nothing in 5 years).
    but why the same staff? now calculate with a bigger staff because of the windows port of the radeon driver +5years extra.
    and now imagine this: AMD's next gen Opteron Architecture is a "APU" based on this graphic architecture.
    AMD CPU company side makes up to 30% of there turnover on the Linux market.
    sure only 1-2% on the Desktop but much more on the server market and the next "Opteron" is a APU.
    do you think the server Linux (CPU) customers start to use closed source ? never! many CPU customers will not use a driver like catalyst.

they focus on the opensource driver or the CPU customers will not use this Opteron-APU.
    Well, Bridgman said in a previous comment: "The current plan is to start a new driver for GCN, based on a stripped-down copy of the r600g code.".
    I.e. they didn't start the driver yet. It is the plan. So don't be so excited. I want this to be true also, but I don't want to be disappointed like the bulldozer fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Well, Bridgman said in a previous comment: "The current plan is to start a new driver for GCN, based on a stripped-down copy of the r600g code.".
    I.e. they didn't start the driver yet. It is the plan. So don't be so excited. I want this to be true also, but I don't want to be disappointed like the bulldozer fiasco.
    "I.e. they didn't start the driver yet"

You are just a ignorance person.
    I know they do have 2 devs coding on GCN for months.

Also Bridgman is a liar if he claim they don't have already started to code the GCN driver.

so please stop to be naive.

Default Even if they did start the driver a while ago

Mesa itself is years behind.

I don't see AMD pushing a driver that doesn't even support OpenGL 4 for their brand new cards.

Now, there may be something where they announce more support. Maybe in particular for Android - I could see how Mesa might be far enough along for that, and it would probably be a nightmare to try and port fglrx to it and slim it down enough to fit on a phone.

Let's hope they announce they are opening up UVD, open sourcing their OpenCL work, adding a bunch of OSS developers, and committing to having the OSS drivers available at hardware launch time. All 4 of those would be pretty major announcements. I'd be very happy if any single one of those was the big announcement coming up.

You are just a ignorance person.
    I know

Also Bridgman is a liar

so please stop to be naive.

Also Bridgman is a liar if he claim they don't have already started to code the GCN driver.
    ???

I said what the plan is. I didn't say if execution of the plan had started yet or not. Please don't call me a liar for something I didn't say.

I know they do have 2 devs coding on GCN for months.
    As I said earlier nearly all of the work has been on the kernel drivers. This discussion is about the userspace Gallium3D drivers.
    Last edited by bridgman; 12-08-2011 at 11:46 AM.