AMD Driver Support State For Radeon HD 7000 Series, Trinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Some whispers to me: AMD will announce in February that they favor the open source driver for the next gen graphic architecture on the Linux market and the android market.

This means full speed on GCN for OpenGL,OpenCL and Video-acceleration.
    This also means full audio support for GCN

Then the catalyst become a driver only for workstation consumers and copy-protection stuff like DRM.
    I think many of us would be very happy because of this.
    However, I fear this is just wishful thinking, because mesa does not have opengl, opencl nor is there proper power management, etc. Add to this the limited number of devs working on this and the end result is either incomplete driver support for their "best" cards under Linux or just simply won't happen.

Comment

Some whispers to me: AMD will announce in February that they favor the open source driver for the next gen graphic architecture on the Linux market and the android market.

This means full speed on GCN for OpenGL,OpenCL and Video-acceleration.
      This also means full audio support for GCN

Then the catalyst become a driver only for workstation consumers and copy-protection stuff like DRM.
      You forgot /dream_mode tags

Comment

for R600 amd can't go this way because they are 5 years to late.
        but the new architecture is different they start with the open source driver 1 year before release.

with the same staff for example 4 Dev's work 5 years longer on 1 driver and the result is? (only dump people think 4 dev's do nothing in 5 years).
        but why the same staff? now calculate with a bigger staff because of the windows port of the radeon driver +5years extra.
        and now imagine this: AMD's next gen Opteron Architecture is a "APU" based on this graphic architecture.
        AMD CPU company side makes up to 30% of there turnover on the Linux market.
        sure only 1-2% on the Desktop but much more on the server market and the next "Opteron" is a APU.
        do you think the server Linux (CPU) customers start to use closed source ? never! many CPU customers will not use a driver like catalyst.

they focus on the opensource driver or the CPU customers will not use this Opteron-APU.
        Well, Bridgman said in a previous comment: "The current plan is to start a new driver for GCN, based on a stripped-down copy of the r600g code.".
        I.e. they didn't start the driver yet. It is the plan. So don't be so excited. I want this to be true also, but I don't want to be disappointed like the bulldozer fiasco.

Comment

Even if they did start the driver a while ago

Mesa itself is years behind.

I don't see AMD pushing a driver that doesn't even support OpenGL 4 for their brand new cards.

Now, there may be something where they announce more support. Maybe in particular for Android - I could see how Mesa might be far enough along for that, and it would probably be a nightmare to try and port fglrx to it and slim it down enough to fit on a phone.

Let's hope they announce they are opening up UVD, open sourcing their OpenCL work, adding a bunch of OSS developers, and committing to having the OSS drivers available at hardware launch time. All 4 of those would be pretty major announcements. I'd be very happy if any single one of those was the big announcement coming up.

Comment

You are just a ignorance person.
            I know

Also Bridgman is a liar

so please stop to be naive.

Comment

Also Bridgman is a liar if he claim they don't have already started to code the GCN driver.
              ???

I said what the plan is. I didn't say if execution of the plan had started yet or not. Please don't call me a liar for something I didn't say.

I know they do have 2 devs coding on GCN for months.
              As I said earlier nearly all of the work has been on the kernel drivers. This discussion is about the userspace Gallium3D drivers.
              Last edited by bridgman; 08 December 2011, 12:46 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

read the word "if" i know you don't do this "stupid" claim. he claim that by trying to quote you and trying to interpret your words.
                That was how I interpreted your post as well, but could you find another way to deliver that explanation ? Preferably one which does not involve even "conditionally" calling me a liar

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                As I said earlier nearly all of the work has been on the kernel drivers. This discussion is about the userspace Gallium3D drivers.
                for me the kernel part is a part of this driver.
                I don't know how to respond to this
                Last edited by bridgman; 08 December 2011, 02:26 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Writing English is hard work for me. Write a valid conditionally sentence is even harder for me. I do not have the skill to write in your Public Relations fashion way. Sorry if i conditionally hurt you.
                  I try to write more "simply", ie if I disagree with something I say that and nothing more. Your English is probably as good as mine these days -- but if I tried to write as colourfully as you do I would probably have trouble too

For me as a consumer there is no difference between different parts of the radeon driver in mesa and kernel because all parts must be completed.
                  Agreed, but you were disagreeing with someone who said that work on the *mesa* driver might not have started.

And in fact compared to an hd2900 amd start 5 year earlier.
                  It's more like a couple of years, isn't it ? The HD2900 came out in mid-2007 and by mid-2008 we had started working on r6xx acceleration. I agree that it is a really important change though... starting before launch rather than 12-18 months after launch makes a *big* difference.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 08 December 2011, 03:30 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

I'm pretty sure xenos is something much closer to x800.... I could be wrong, but it definitely does not have a unified shader architecture. It definitely has pixel shaders, and I'm almost positive it has vertex shaders too.

EDIT: Well, I looked into it, and I guesss it does use a unified shader architecture. So I was wrong.
                    Last edited by duby229; 08 December 2011, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Its funny Bridgman stop writing instantly every time i make a good point.
                      It's too hard to type and facepalm at the same time

Seriously, if you're talking about the *last* GPU/APU in the GCN family I guess I sort of agree with your numbers, although you are ignoring the contributions of non-AMD developers which IMO invalidates the numbers completely.

I was talking about the *first* chip in the GCN family not the *last* chip and there the difference is smaller, although still significant.

RadeonHD and radeon always shared the kernel and 3D drivers, so I wouldn't take time off for that, but I agree that we don't need to go through the classic=>Gallium3D transition again so that does save some time.

This is all academic until I see triangles though...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                      Last edited by bridgman; 09 December 2011, 07:45 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X