Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Puts Out Its 2011 Holiday Linux Package

Phoronix: Intel Puts Out Its 2011 Holiday Linux Package

The 2011Q4 Linux graphics driver package has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not to nitpick but shouldn't that be last quarter?

The span between Q4 and Q3 being a quarter and not a year.

As a side note it will be interesting to see if this improves performance on Sandy Bridge hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      The span between Q4 and Q3 being a quarter and not a year.

As a side note it will be interesting to see if this improves performance on Sandy Bridge hardware.
      For 3D performance, you should expect around +40-60% FPS improvements in 3D games. Of course, your mileage may vary from game to game, so you could check Michael's benchmarks for more precise results.

For 2D performance, with latest Cairo development version, it is possible to expect around +20% performance improvements for most workloads (but it changes dramatically between different test cases, from 10x performance increase in some cases and down to 10% performance regressions in some corner cases, most notably ones being firefox ones. However, for those, this difference is around statistical error, as those workloads are quite fast anyway. So 10% performance decrease corresponds to increase from 2.59 to 2.9s in cairo-perf benchmark).

I hope it clarifies things a bit.

Of course, all the usual considerations about benchmarks apply - I've just given an approximate summary of what I am seeing on my machines .

Comment

Quick Sync

Is Quick Sync working on Linux or will be ever? (This is the only thing holding me from moving some systems to Linux at my studio).

Comment

How-To-Upgrade

Hello,

Can someone please point me to the procedure of how to update my linux system with the latest graphic drivers from here: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q4.html?

I only know how to update Linux Kernels with ppa's but the packages provided on the site leave me in the dark.

I run Ubuntu 11.10 64bit and my Intel Core i7-2600K is in need of these updates to live up to it's potential, as I can read from all the great posts here from Michael.

I'd appreciate any assistance.

Cheers,

Hauke

Comment

Originally posted by Hauke View Post
            Hello,

Can someone please point me to the procedure of how to update my linux system with the latest graphic drivers from here: http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2011Q4.html?

I only know how to update Linux Kernels with ppa's but the packages provided on the site leave me in the dark.
            What the site is saying is that "These versions here have the improvements we're talking about"--it isn't a special package you need to get there, it's links to the upstream source code.
            Look up the versions listed on Launchpad, and see if they are available from a PPA.
            Otherwise, you can compile from source.

Comment

Working...
            X