Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: GNOME's Epiphany Experiences A Facelift

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    So, you can tell your mom to piss off, if somebody needs to be offended to get the point across then so be it.
    It's fun because what drag said is particulary true with you. It's obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. So why even say anything? I mean WebKit is used everywhere from Safari, Chrome, Androids browser, rekonq, konqueror (optional), Midori, Qt, GTK, other Gnome apps, Steam and hundreds to maybe even thousands of other programs. Not only that but Gnome used to use Gecko and switched to WebKit few years ago.
    Last edited by Teho; 12-06-2011 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #22

    Default

    While Webkit is used everywhere it doesn't make for a particularly good browser, I've tried most of those browsers over the years and ll had weird rendering issues while Gecko and the hideousness that is Trident didn't.

    Use whats already proven to work and is already open source instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    While Webkit is used everywhere it doesn't make for a particularly good browser
    Webkit has excellent support for web standards and considering its extremly high usage on both mobile and desktop systems it's unlikely for web page not to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Use whats already proven to work and is already open source instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
    ...what? Webkit is a fork of KHTML that was released in 1998 and has been completely open source since 2005. It has been the sole engine for Epiphany since 2009. It's also used by both Safari and Chrome which together have over 25% of desktop market share (surpasses Firefox) and by mobile browser that have about 70% of mobile browser market share. I don't see how anyone in a right mind could call not switching to Gecko as "trying to reinvent the wheel". Not to mention that it would require significant amount of work to port Epiphany to Gecko...

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    Webkit has excellent support for web standards and considering its extremly high usage on both mobile and desktop systems it's unlikely for web page not to work.
    Hence why many sites still had text render behind images or text outside of margins on sites that may or may not be following WC3 standard like my state government sites or half of the political sites I visit?nOr at least didn't last time I had to use a Webkit based browser.

    Mobile browsers still suck because mobile browsing still sucks and no, I haven't nor will I ever use Chrome or any other Google made software that I can't deball first*. So no, I don't care that they have massive marketshare in mobile, I use Opera there.

    *It's not that I don't like Google for their support of OSS, it's that I don't trust Google at all to not every scrap of information about us.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    It's not that I don't like Google for their support of OSS, it's that I don't trust Google at all to not every scrap of information about us.
    You understand that Chromium is open source and it doesn't send any information to anyone as long as you don't use Google as search engine which then again does the same on any browser? Well not that matters as it has nothing to do with Webkit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Hence why many sites still had text render behind images or text outside of margins on sites that may or may not be following WC3 standard like my state government sites or half of the political sites I visit?nOr at least didn't last time I had to use a Webkit based browser.
    Well most likely what you are saying isn't even true anymore (feel free to send an actual example of such site) but even if it were I guess it's still possible to write sites that work only on browsers that support non-standard crap - should browsers really support that? Anyway it isn't usual as most websites suport at least all the most popular browsers which both Chrome and Safari are part of. They could of course be problems related to WebkitGTK which isn't necessarily as advanced as other Webkit ports.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teho View Post
    You understand that Chromium is open source and it doesn't send any information to anyone as long as you don't use Google as search engine which then again does the same on any browser? Well not that matters as it has nothing to do with Webkit.
    Wait, other browsers send your URLs you personally type in to google if you have it as a search engine? Name one.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Wait, other browsers send your URLs you personally type in to google if you have it as a search engine? Name one.
    It can be disabled with single option or by changing the default search engine of Chrome/Chromium on settings page. If any other browser were to provide similar functionality to what Chrome's omnibar has (predicts what you are writing by comparing it to data that Google has) it would have to do the same. As it's a feature that can be disabled I don't see the problem here but it's definetly nice for those that like predictive searching.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    "It can be disabled" is no defense for "it's on by default".

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    "It can be disabled" is no defense for "it's on by default".
    Defence for what? I don't see how easily disableable feature can be argument against anything.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,033

    Default

    A snooping feature is enabled by default. Saying it can be disabled does not make the feature, or having it enabled by default, ok.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •