Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode Aims To Produce A General Purpose OS

Phoronix: Genode Aims To Produce A General Purpose OS

2012 could be an especially interesting year for open-source software with continued advancements in the area of open-source drivers, prominent announcements, major software releases like GIMP 2.8 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and much more. Another event to look forward to next year is a new operating system release built atop the unique Genode Operating System Framework...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great, I didn't know about Genode.

It looks like micro kernel are coming back: we got recent updates for Hurd, Minix and now Genode!

Does any of you use a micro kernel based OS for personal computing ?

Comment

Mh ok they ported Gallium3D to Genode and the DRM Drivers ? Because i cant see the reason for gallium 3d if no hardware drivers are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Mh ok they ported Gallium3D to Genode and the DRM Drivers ? Because i cant see the reason for gallium 3d if no hardware drivers are available.
        I thought that gallium3d generates a driver. So how big is the missing part ?

Comment

Gallium3D is indeed only one part of the graphics stack. However, the Genode project took a quite holistic approach including Intel's GEM and AGP drivers, libdrm, and Gallium3D - all running in user space. That said, Gallium3D support is still considered as being experimental at this stage.

See http://genode.org/documentation/rele...0.08#section-0.

Comment

Note that the Linux kernel they can run is 32 bits for now

They can run the Linux kernel as a process but the only kernel that will compile (at least in the last version) is 32 bits. One interesting thing is that the drivers run in userspace and there are facilities to use the driver code from Linux. If you haven't already check out the Live demo iso.

Genode is interesting cause you won't need the Linux kernel anymore and it's more secure (at least in theory).

Comment

Working...
            X