What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 5]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    I don't use Gnome nor am I a "fanboy". There's no excuse for the language used in those "rants" especially when we are talking about open source developement.

No one is pointing a gun at your head. You are free to use what ever you like. If the projects you like die, they aren't as popular as you think.

If you believe that developer is being disrespectful by not doing exactly what you would like him to do on his/her freetime then you are a fucking idiot.

After reading some of the comments on the survey I'm not suprised at all. I feel bad for the people who have to spend their time on cleaning up this crap on BugZilla so they can use it for what it's desinged for.

Constructive criticism, ever heard of it?
    Constructive criticism isn't posible with some attitudes...Have you ever read the GS mailing lists about the "bugs" and new "features"? Look at them and then leave your opinion... I use GS DAiLY, unlike you, so I can rant if I don't like some "features" of it. And I use KDE and XFCE too at work when needed. And I used GNOME Bugzilla too.

The "gun in the head" argument is soooo childish... Many GNOME users are tied to GNOME technologies for some reasons, and they don't want to or can switch to other desktops. Devs and designers BROKE with the GNOME 2.XX desktop model without a very good reason, only because they wanted to "innovate"; there weren't enormous numbers of users wanting a "revolution".

If you aren't using GNOME shell, you don't understand anything about the rants. Again, take your head outside your FOSS happy ass, use GS first and stop trolling about GNOME users rants and criticism...

Comment

Originally posted by alvadoraemon View Post
      GNOME 3 fallback mode is doomed... They will run GS with the new LLVM-based software driver.
      Entirely?! Really? I found that hard to believe... I mean there's always hardware that is to slow run Gnome-Shell even with software rendering. Do you have any source that proves that GNOME is entirely ditching the fallback mode that we currently have in 3.x?

Comment

Originally posted by josian_220 View Post
        Entirely?! Really? I found that hard to believe... I mean there's always hardware that is to slow run Gnome-Shell even with software rendering. Do you have any source that proves that GNOME is entirely ditching the fallback mode that we currently have in 3.x?
        Yeah... GNOME panel is "obsolete" for GNOME devs and designers... They said this long ago.

Search in Phoronix, it was one or two weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
          Do Gnome 2 Fanbois try XFCE and KDE and decide neither suits them? or do they just throw tantrums and do nothing?
          Do they understand that XFCE is lightweight and actually has panel(s)? (and quite configurable ones at that).
          Yes, I've tried, KDE3, KDE4, XFCE, LXDE, IceWM, Unity, Gnome3 Fallback, Gnome3 Shell.

I only liked KDE3 and Gnome2/Mate. Everything else is either missing some pretty basic functionality or has also made some asinine design decisions. I've got a background going back to Windows 2 and Mac System 3 as well a stints with OS/2 and BeOS over the years and getting my first taste of Linux on an old P2 in 2002 on Mandrake. So I've seen the evolution of the desktop for many years and up till the last few years did this tread start to devolve the desktop into a stupid appliance with no more capability then the buttons on my washing machine...

Comment

Originally posted by josian_220 View Post
            Been paying much attention recently? By dropping all of these drivers for the old GPU hardware they are essentially forcing obsolescence on hardware that is otherwise still plenty capable of handling the basics.

I'm no coder, but I've given away dozens of restored dumpster dived Athlon XP and P4 era machines running Linux. Up their ram to at least 1Gb and they where good enough for 99% of users. So what they can't do 3D gaming or HD video? They can playback SD quality Youtube WebM videos well enough without Flash brining the system to a crawl, even in Firefox 8.

These machines all ran Gnome2/Mate quite well and I'll be looking to get as many of these people on to Mate just so that they may continue to be able to use their computer.

Yes, many of you complain that users shouldn't be using outdated software and I whole heartedly agree, but what we have here is another case of new not being automagically better, for all I care Mate can stagnate in features and just issue security patches, just as there should have been some effort made to keep those old drivers alive for future releases. I can only imagine the havoc it'll be causing in the developing world where they are largely dependent on restored machines from around the same era as I donate to people in my area.

As others have said, we've known about the switch to Gnome Shell for years and we started with constructive criticism and progressed to overt hatred for the dev team due to their complete disdain for their users.

Heres to hoping that Mate can pick up enough devs to get picked as the preferred desktop on more major distros, I'm already loving it on Linux Mint 12 since I couldn't get Ubuntu Studio 11.10 to play nicely with Amanas' PPA, but then it refuses to play nicely with anything but Xfce apparently...

Comment

I only liked KDE3 and Gnome2/Mate.

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Yes, I've tried, KDE3, KDE4, XFCE, LXDE, IceWM, Unity, Gnome3 Fallback, Gnome3 Shell.
              I've got a background going back to Windows 2 and Mac System 3 as well a stints with OS/2 and BeOS over the years and getting my first taste of Linux on an old P2 in 2002 on Mandrake.

If you had used another desktop before I think you're not supposed to use gnome-shell, if I understand correctly it's mostly for new users.

Comment

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
                If you had used another desktop before I think you're not supposed to use gnome-shell, if I understand correctly it's mostly for new users.
                And as such should have never been part of Gnome, The fallback mode should have taken full focus as the next iteration of the desktop with shell should have been kept as a side project for the few people that want another tablet UI.

Putting anyone that has used any desktop OS in their life could easily figure out KDE3 and Gnome2/Mate, Shell only makes half makes sense to the few people out there that have only ever used an iPad.

Comment

why my survey post has been removed completely ?

I like phoronix web but after reading this survey I could not find my post. That's really strange. I thought that phoronix web server is more honest with readers.

Comment

Working...
                  X