What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 5]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alvadoraemon View Post
    The typical fanboy stubborness... Take your head out of your ass and try to understand rants before ranting about the rants xDDDD.
    I don't use Gnome nor am I a "fanboy". There's no excuse for the language used in those "rants" especially when we are talking about open source developement.

What we have now? Impositions, users must follow the "Great GNOME leaders way" without discussion.
    No one is pointing a gun at your head. You are free to use what ever you like. If the projects you like die, they aren't as popular as you think.

People is disrespectful with GS because Devs and Designers are disrespectful with them
    If you believe that developer is being disrespectful by not doing exactly what you would like him to do on his/her freetime then you are a fucking idiot.

Censorship, exclusion, bad manners and bugzilla account suspension warnings...
    After reading some of the comments on the survey I'm not suprised at all. I feel bad for the people who have to spend their time on cleaning up this crap on BugZilla so they can use it for what it's desinged for.

What do they want for their stravaganzas and bad design decisions, flowers? Come on...
    Constructive criticism, ever heard of it?

Comment

One thing that mystifies me is that via extensions most of the missing gnome2 functionality is restored. What I find mystifing is that these extensions, which amount to just a few thousand lines of javascript, weren't included in gnome3 to begin with. It would have meant that old style users could have put things back as they liked them and everyone would have been happy. I realise that people can now get working on this outside of gnome, but it seems an odd thing not to do. Also its going to take a while (few months/a year) for these extensions to mature, and even then there are going to be problems about upgrades and incompatible extensions. Having a few core ones (menu, windowlist, workspace switcher etc) developed and maintained in-house by the gnome team should have been the way they went. Talk about opportunity missed. This way you don't alienate your existing userbase while pursuing mythical new users.

Comment

Do Gnome 2 Fanbois try XFCE and KDE and decide neither suits them? or do they just throw tantrums and do nothing?
        Do they understand that XFCE is lightweight and actually has panel(s)? (and quite configurable ones at that).
        Last edited by korrode; 04 December 2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
          Do Gnome 2 Fanbois try XFCE and KDE and decide neither suits them? or do they just throw tantrums and do nothing?
          Do they understand that XFCE is lightweight and actually has panel(s)? (and quite configurable ones at that).
          I did. In fact i've been using kde for the last week, and xfce for a month before that.

KDE just feels weird, too many options on every single menu, and many things have "weird" names. The most simple thing, right clicking the window title gives TWELVE options! And five of them have submenus!!! The only thing I like better than Gnome counterpart are the development tools, like QTCreator.

XFCE is mostly fine, but most of the xfce apps are too simple, so I end relying on Gnome apps, and since XFCE uses GTK2 and new Gnome apps use GTK3 there are some problems making them coexist. GTK3 apps are unthemed on xfce to begin with. XFCE doesn't plan to support GTK3 until after 4.10.

If things continue like this, I'll end developing my own personal desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra View Post
            If things continue like this, I'll end developing my own personal desktop.
            Please ask Phronix to post a survey when you have completed it!

It will give you heaps of awesome feedback, and then you have to do what the feedback says.

Because FOSS is about choice, or doing what the users want, or not changing, or changing only a little bit, or giving everyone new features. Or Something.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra View Post
              since XFCE uses GTK2 and new Gnome apps use GTK3 there are some problems making them coexist. GTK3 apps are unthemed
              Use a gtk2/3 theme, like the one in Xubuntu (greybird).

Comment

As I understand it, with Gnome3 the _designers_ and not the developers have the final say, which is a little troublesome IMO. I've read somewhere that the designers want Gnome3 to be as little customizable as possible, because they want it to look the same on all systems, being recognizable by non-geeks when they glance a screen at the coffee shop. The Gnome designers want the same locked down control as Apple and Microsoft has over its environments.

Extensions are a band-aid, and I'm afraid it will end like Firefox where an upgrade will break extensions you depend upon for your workflow.

That said, I've been checking Gnome3 out in a F16 VM and actually am a little intrigued. Not sure I'm committed to install and use it as my main system yet (how does it work with multiple monitors?) but I don't "hate" it. I want to be optimistic about Gnome3 rather than dismiss it completely.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
                  (how does it work with multiple monitors?)
                  IMO, horribly.

Comment

I guess writing nonsense is mandatory on this website. If you can customize it to behave like Gnome 2 (which we all know was perfect) with a little javascript, then it is probably not locked down ...

Comment

Originally posted by josian_220 View Post
                      Gnome 3 has a Fallback mode which feels exactly like old Gnome 2.x so I don't understand why so many people are crying about. Anyway I don't mind the new interface, what I do not want is a buggy DE. Gnome 3.x is for now the one that has had for me the least bugs when compared to others, in fallback mode I experience no bugs at all to be honest. Gnome 3.2 is a lot faster and I am really happy that the Gnome devs are taking serious actions against small yet ridiculous bugs in the activities overview, though I am yet waiting for a fix with the gnome panel so it'll stop overlaping the apps menus (which is my major complain against Gnome 3.x at all).

GNOME 3 fallback mode is doomed... They will run GS with the new LLVM-based software driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X