Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Talks About Their GPU Drivers, Wayland, Etc

Phoronix: Intel Talks About Their GPU Drivers, Wayland, Etc

Last month there was a presentation in Brazil by Eugeni Dodonov of the Intel Open-Source Technology Center. The focus was on Intel Linux Graphics and the "following the open-source road from kernel to UI tool-kits."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for putting up slides, quite informative!
    But I guess the real question is Intel does not uses Gallium, nor has it mentioned anywhere in the slides.
    I wonder why?
    The "too much code already" or "investment protection" are not arguments, because in IT, there is no such thing as "investment protection" in face of future changes.
    If they want to have full control over the stuff, why not experiment in gallium branch? So much better cooperation! Will they be reinventing X13 when Wayland debutes? (yes, I know that wayland is mostly supported by intel, it just for sake of example).

Comment

Slide 38
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Aside from the glaring omission of any Gallium mention, it is a brilliant introduction to the Intel graphics stack.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          But I guess the real question is Intel does not uses Gallium, nor has it mentioned anywhere in the slides.
          I wonder why?
          I'd say because the current drivers, which are not based on Gallium, just work, and are being very actively developed, so there is not much point of switching to gallium just for the sake of switching to it .

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
            Aside from the glaring omission of any Gallium mention, it is a brilliant introduction to the Intel graphics stack.
            Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. I had much more stuff to present besides what went in (much more on wayland and internal kernel stuff), but for 40 minutes presentation it would be overkill. Perhaps some other day I'll be able to come with a 2nd and extended version of this introduction.

Comment

Nice presentation bringing linux graphics closer to those that are not too deep into the sphere.
              Some exciting news is on the horizon for Intel Linux Graphics.Stay tuned!
              Is this just a hollow phrase you borrowed from the marketing guys or is there anything substantial behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                Nice presentation bringing linux graphics closer to those that are not too deep into the sphere.

Is this just a hollow phrase you borrowed from the marketing guys or is there anything substantial behind it?
                I can promise that as soon as there will be some public news, I'll be one of the first to comment about it .

Comment

Intel doesn't like Gallium, because:

It's an extra layer in between the 2 layers they have written themselves. They have less control over it.

They want to put all the shared code into their GLSL compiler, and have all the drivers hook directly into it. The fact that they've written all this code themselves is one of the main selling points for them.

If they hooked into Gallium, they would have to work with other people's shared code there, and have another layer in between their driver specific code and GLSL compiler. They can't simply alter Gallium to fit their needs, because it's maintained by other people and organizations. If you've followed the Mesa mailing list, you'd see that they feel perfectly free to alter their GLSL compiler code in ways which cripple other drivers - something that wouldn't fly in gallium.

Plus, they don't really have a major manpower issue like the other drivers do, which means that one of Gallium's biggest benefits isn't as important to them as it is to other drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
                    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.
                    So, how many of them were using linux on their notebooks and/or desktops?

Comment

Working...
                    X