Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 4.0 For x86 Is Now Available

Phoronix: Android 4.0 For x86 Is Now Available

Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" is now available for x86 platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be cool if we could do some Android development with that. The ARM virtual machine that comes with the Android SDK is very slow

Comment

Can i use this Release an every x86 cpu or its bound again to specific hardware? The latest generic version in an 2.2 Build and its deprecated.

Comment

Also where can drivers be found for ethernet, camera and audio? Sounds I'd want to use this on my Thinkpad T42 just for fun, and is there access to the Android Market?

Comment

desktop application

It'd be nice if someone ported a "desktop" application that ran X or Wayland with keyboard and mouse suppport. Kinda like how Windows 8 has a desktop application.

Comment

On generic hardware i get an kernel Panic ....

Comment

In Virtualbox and in qemu with kvm on my i5 480M it simply doesn't boot and simply produces more and more dots........

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Can i use this Release an every x86 cpu or its bound again to specific hardware? The latest generic version in an 2.2 Build and its deprecated.
                AFAIK all of the AMD testing has been on Brazos but it uses generic drivers so *may* work on other AMD systems. I would expect a pile of bugs on other HW but don't know if the nature of the bugs would be "die horribly" or just nits.

The image probably only has the r600 driver (6xx-NI) though, not r300 (3xx-5xx).

Don't think the Ethernet issues are "missing drivers" as much as "the drivers aren't wired into Android correctly yet" but that is just my impression from hanging around the edges of discussions.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  Also where can drivers be found for ethernet, camera and audio? Sounds I'd want to use this on my Thinkpad T42 just for fun, and is there access to the Android Market?
                  I don't know about Android Market, but if you are expecting to buy/download applications and run them on x86 there will be some issues. Theoretically if an app is Java only and doesn't use any ARM architecture specific libraries then it will work on x86.

Comment

This works surprisingly good on my AMD Fusion E-350 notebook!

Comment

Working...
                    X