No announcement yet.

The Gallium3D Intel 965 Driver Gets Dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next candidate driver to be removed could be classic swrast.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
      The next candidate driver to be removed could be classic swrast.
      As long as Gallium's llvmpipe and the gallium softpipe are equivalent in functionality and stability, I don't see why we would need to keep swrast around. As michael has shown, swrast is pretty slow on modern machines in comparison to things like llvmpipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        As long as Gallium's llvmpipe and the gallium softpipe are equivalent in functionality and stability, I don't see why we would need to keep swrast around. As michael has shown, swrast is pretty slow on modern machines in comparison to things like llvmpipe.
        OSMesa still relies on classic swrast. It would be nice to get that working with Gallium. Afterwards, I agree - who is still using swrast, and why?

There might be some portability issues relying on llvmpipe, but softpipe should run everywhere swrast does, right? Watching the mesa mailing list, it seems like there is a fair amount of really ugly code being maintained for swrast that should just go away.

Comment

Intel does not yet have OpenGL 4 hardware, so waiting on OpenGL 4 is senseless. IMHO AMD has to do OpenGL 4 being the only open-source friendly manufacturer having hardware that supports it. I don't expect much OpenGL 4 work in Mesa from the nVidia side.

Comment

Ivi Bridge will support OpenGL 4, to be sold Q2/2012.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
              Intel does not yet have OpenGL 4 hardware
              Ivy Bridge

IMHO AMD has to do OpenGL 4 being the only open-source friendly manufacturer having hardware that supports it.
              Honestly I think a lot of the underlying GL4 work will be done by the VMWare guys (or whoever it is Brian Paul and those guys work for), followed by Intel devs, followed by Radeon devs.

I don't expect much OpenGL 4 work in Mesa from the nVidia side.
              NVidia doesn't do any Mesa/OpenGL support.

Comment

Working...
              X