Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 4]

Phoronix: What People Are Saying About GNOME [Part 4]

The GNOME 2011 User Survey is still going on, so be sure to participate, but here is part four of the free-style responses.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is something that should be a long forum thread, still being posted as a news item?

Comment

Phoronix is running for the "Most useless website ever" competition, that's why

Comment

3013: Faster & use LESS ressources

3015: I needs to be more light - now it consumes too much CPU and GPU... We want speed not special effects.

Get rid of 3D stuff, clean your code and make it lighter and smoother.

3019: Implement a high performance software compositor - for drop shadows and simple 2.5D effects (not wobbly windows).
        I don't know what these people have tried. I mean, in my machine gnome 3 uses less resources than gnome2, effects are smooth even for the Intel card (my laptop has nvidia optimus).

Also, I don't see any wobbly windows effect, just zoom in/out and fades.

Comment

I don't know what these people have tried. I mean, in my machine gnome 3 uses less resources than gnome2, effects are smooth even for the Intel card (my laptop has nvidia optimus).
          Most people don't know because they have not tried it yet. They just read what other people have said on forums and such. Which many of those have gained experience from Beta versions of Gnome 3 or watching videos or something.

The only large distribution that I know of that has shipped with full fledged Gnome 3 setup out of the box is going to be Fedora. It was possible to get it on Debian or Ubuntu, but it was hard to setup correctly and tended to screw other things up.

Comment

This is how GNOME Devs and Designers work.

Post deleted in the AFAIK blog : http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011/...etail-matters/

I would have put the ?Suspend only? option and its configuration in the 1st place :-D . This is a serious bug:-).

Another ?improvement? would be the presence of the Dash outside the ?Activities? too, with autohiding? And then use highlighted icons to let the user know if an app ? or multiple instances of an app ? is running.

Mandatory joke: but I think that there will be only dreams, seeing what designers and developers decide for us ;-) .

DELETED. This was Allan's action. WIthout a response. No discussion, no comments...

This is the new GNOME way. Good for them.

Comment

Working...
            X