Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debating A Software Center For Fedora

Phoronix: Debating A Software Center For Fedora

There's an active discussion on the Fedora mailing list concerning a "software center" for Fedora Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

a common software center for all package based distros (and if possible for all distros) would be the best thing to happen to linux

the implementation of something like that would probably be a bit tricky

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      a common software center for all package based distros (and if possible for all distros) would be the best thing to happen to linux

Isn't this what Project Bretzn is supposed to be about? Anyone know whatever happened with that?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

isnt this what packagekit was going to do ? seems that will never happen. and why would all linux look or act the same ? then why have so many distros? just kill those with little marketshare and then all linux will look the same.

if i wanted a distro that behaves and looks like ubuntu then i would use ubuntu.

imo the only duplication that should be killed is the RPM vs DEB fiasco. They should unify this crap into one, maybe something like "dpm" ?

anyway Ubuntu software center is going to be so good in the next releases, so am sticking with it.

Comment

Presence of one-click "application-center" is what distinguishes user-friendly os from developer-only os.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
            isnt this what packagekit was going to do ? seems that will never happen. and why would all linux look or act the same ? then why have so many distros? just kill those with little marketshare and then all linux will look the same.

if i wanted a distro that behaves and looks like ubuntu then i would use ubuntu.

imo the only duplication that should be killed is the RPM vs DEB fiasco. They should unify this crap into one, maybe something like "dpm" ?

anyway Ubuntu software center is going to be so good in the next releases, so am sticking with it.
            You do I hope realize that unifying the package formats will not create universal packages I hope? And outside of the Source-Based Distros + Arch, There are no non-Debian-or-non-Ubuntu-Derivatives that haven't already standardized on RPMs. Note that Across even the Debian|Ubuntu Line there can be massive incompatibilities, So why should you expect that across Distro families that a universal package would be compatible?

as to your packagekit complaint, yes that's part of what packagekit is supposed to be about, but the idea I've gathered is more or less have the System Administrator Types Package manager (packagekit) and have the more general user's package manager (Bretzn), with Bretzn being backed by the OpenBuildService in order to create automated distro-specific packages.

Comment

Good thing if it happends

I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Arch at home. Fedora at university labs. Fedora package management GUI just sucks. Many time even command line yum don't work for lock of packagekit with some unknown package manager(updater may be?). I mean I like fedora's stability, Gnome3 and developer friendliness. But you can all achieve that with a good package management front-end.

Comment

Whatever they create I hope it's not created by a python/ruby script kiddie. I want fast startup etc. Unfortunately there's too many feeble minded programmers (at Canonical and elsewhere) who think C++ (or C or alike) are too sophisticated/whatever.

Comment

i would say that fedora is more in need of an advanced package GUI like synaptic.

the current software install GUI is simple enough, and would mainly benefit from speed (sounds like zif will fix this), and better search (sometimes i get 500 irrelevant results and sometimes no use results).

also it would be nice if rpm caught up with some of the fancy features in deb, for example distinguishing between depends, recommends and suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Presence of one-click "application-center" is what distinguishes user-friendly os from developer-only os.
                    Windows doesn't have one and it seems to be doing alright...

However I'm in 100% agreeance that small OS's (ok anything that's not Windows) need to do everything they can to interest users and keep them excited. The amount of software available on Fedora/Ubuntu is staggering but I think most (especially new but also experienced) users have no idea. Some sort of "what's new", "what's hot" type listings would go a long way to building that connection between developer/packager and the users.

Comment

Working...
                    X