Gigabyte GA-73UM-S2H under linux? nvidia 7150+nforce 630i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-73UM-S2H under linux? nvidia 7150+nforce 630i

I got that new Gigabyte GA-73UM-S2H mobo for my htpc and I have a few problems to make it works with linux. (I should have check the compatibility before...)

Anyway, link to the specs: http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products...me=GA-73UM-S2H

It's a core2 mobo with nvidia chipset 7150/nforce 630i. The audio is driven by a Realtek ALC889A codec and the network by RTL 8211B chip. It has 2 pci port, 1 pci express 16x and 1 pci express 1x.

I'm running a 2.6.23.8 kernel.

What works:
    - the integrated nvidia video 7150 chipset (works with the latest beta driver 169.04)
    - the sata controller (ahci) but I don't actually have sata drives

What does not work:
    - the integrated hard drive controller (but it's ok, I use the a pci ide controller sil680)
    - the integrated network (I m using a pci express 1x network card for now)
    - the integrated sound card (I m using a pci sound card for now)

So bottom line, I m using pci(express) cards to replace the unsupported components, but I d like to make them work. I m sure it will be supported in future kernel version, and right now I have trouble to find drivers from realtek website.

Does anyone have the same kind of hardware?? Any advice to make the thing work?

Thanks!

lspci output:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07c0 (rev a2)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07cb (rev a2)
    00:01.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07cd (rev a1)
    00:01.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07ce (rev a1)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07cf (rev a1)
    00:01.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d0 (rev a1)
    00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d1 (rev a1)
    00:01.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d2 (rev a1)
    00:01.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d3 (rev a1)
    00:02.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d6 (rev a1)
    00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d7 (rev a2)
    00:03.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d8 (rev a1)
    00:03.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07d9 (rev a1)
    00:03.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07c8 (rev a1)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07fe (rev a1)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 056a (rev a1)
    00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 056c (rev a1)
    00:09.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07fc (rev a1)
    00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 056d (rev a1)
    00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 056e (rev a1)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 056f (rev a1)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 056f (rev a1)
    00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07dc (rev a2)
    00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 07e0 (rev a2)

Ok. so I just figure out that the module forcedeth works with the realtek network controller (I guess because it s a nforce chipset) and the realtek audio chip works with hda_intel module. Seems weird to me, but well it works Just missing the ide controller, but no big deal, I'm using the pci one.

Comment

Originally posted by kikoune View Post
      Ok. so I just figure out that the module forcedeth works with the realtek network controller (I guess because it s a nforce chipset) and the realtek audio chip works with hda_intel module. Seems weird to me, but well it works Just missing the ide controller, but no big deal, I'm using the pci one.
      It should work with the pata_amd driver.

Comment

Full Compatability with Ubuntu 7.10 and nvidia blob 169.04

I recently built a machine based on this motherboard. The graphics chip is fully supported by the beta nvidia drivers 169.04.

If anyone is curious, to enable the onboard realtek sound in Ubuntu, you need to install linux-backport-modules which includes the hda_intel module.

So far i am very happy with this board; It is serving as a very capable media center.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
          I haven't tried the ide driver (I m still using the controller sil0680 on pci)
          Sound, network and videos works good.
          I'm using it for a Freevo mediacenter myself, and it works great.

Comment

EVGA 112-CK-NF77 w/ 7150 and 630i SPDIF not working

I am running the same chipset, albeit it on a different main board (EVGA 112-CK-NF77) and have ubuntu up and running.

I had some trouble at first with the beta 169.04 nvidia drivers, but got them running after reinstalling ubuntu. This is my first real attempt with Linux, however, so I wasn't too upset that I had trouble since the chipset and onboard graphics are so new.

I have, however, run into one problem that I cannot figure out. My sound is working correctly through the 3mm jacks, but I cannot get the SPDIF working. Anyone have any ideas if this chipset might have problems with this? (it is a 833 I believe). I have already tried enabled ICE958 and such...

Comment

Hum, weird, on my ubuntu, in the configuration tool (the alsa gui) I checked the spdif output and iec958 and that s it.

Here is a copy of my /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Compare with yours maybe

Comment

Getting network/sata working in Centos 5.1?

Hey guys,

I'm working on trying to get Centos 5.1 to recognize the integrated network card and sata controller. I currently have a PCI-E card installed which Centos 5.1 recognizes natively but would like to get the integrated Sata going as well so I can setup a software raid.

I'm running an nForce 630i chipset.

However, I'm not sure how best to go about that. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

David

Comment

Originally posted by Iskondi View Post
                  Hey guys,

I'm working on trying to get Centos 5.1 to recognize the integrated network card and sata controller. I currently have a PCI-E card installed which Centos 5.1 recognizes natively but would like to get the integrated Sata going as well so I can setup a software raid.

I'm running an nForce 630i chipset.

However, I'm not sure how best to go about that. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

David
                  Turns out that to get the onboard SATA working all I had to do was switch the SATA mode in the bios from SATA to ACHI (Sorry if I switched letters there...)

However, now I'm stuck on the NIC card.

lspci shows a whole bunch of NVidia "unknown" devices including a network card.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

David

Comment

Working...
                  X