Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For fglrx using people having idle overheating problems and eco friendly people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be damned, I forgot all about amdcccle (I'd set the "refresh" option to fix the flicker, and it didn't do it, but I figured it eventually would.) Ok, now I can get 3300 fps on glxgears for whatever good that does...

...Since I really only care about video I'm still screwed. Thanks for the tip though! I feel like we're on the verge of a breakthrough.

(Off the record I also felt that way in January... December... November...)

Comment

Originally posted by benwick View Post
      Ok, now I can get 3300 fps on glxgears for whatever good that does...
      Is there any FPS difference after using radeontool power low?

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
        Is there any FPS difference after using radeontool power low?
        I'll be damned. It actually did do something... I lost 500fps. To wit:

fozzie ~ # glxgears
        16998 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3399.512 FPS
        17024 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3404.605 FPS
        17029 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3405.675 FPS
        17019 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3403.646 FPS
        16997 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3399.334 FPS
        17020 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3403.837 FPS
        17023 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3404.507 FPS
        ^C
        fozzie ~ # radeontool power low
        fozzie ~ # glxgears
        13017 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2603.305 FPS
        14592 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2918.337 FPS
        14595 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2918.807 FPS
        14593 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2918.411 FPS
        14596 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2919.118 FPS
        14594 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2918.684 FPS

Anybody have a good way to measure power consumption (aside from just running X, unplugging the computer and seeing how long it lasts before auto-shutdown?)

Comment

Originally posted by benwick View Post

Anybody have a good way to measure power consumption (aside from just running X, unplugging the computer and seeing how long it lasts before auto-shutdown?)
          There is a handy device, I think it is called kill-a-watt in US, and there are different versions for European and other markets..

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
            I'm not sure yet, but I will find out. I put Windows on this laptop again but I'm having trouble getting a temperature reading at all. What's the most reliable way to get a GPU temperature reading under Windows?

ATI control center or whatever's the name of the application. There is temperature monitoring somewhere, at least for my X1950Pro.

Comment

Hi! Any progress on this? I just got myself a used HP NC8430 notebook with Mobility X1600 (my first laptop with a "proper" GPU) and it is heating a bit outside windows or linux's fglrx (=text console mode, installations, live environments etc.)

I tried both radeontool (with modifications, I even added some of my own with the help of ATI's pdf document) and rovclock, but I haven't reached CCC/fglrx power state 1 temperatures. I don't know much about programming (just enough to modify somebody other's code) but I was thinking that if you could dump all the registers in two (or more) different power states and compare the changes, wouldn't you be able to "reverse engineer" the same for these tools? I think there is more than just changing some registers, with Glisse's atomtools I could set the core/mem clocks to the power state 1 equivalent frequencies, but the cooling was not sufficient so there must be more to it.

Comment

Nevermind. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X