KDE On Wayland For KDE SC 4.8, 4.9?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE On Wayland For KDE SC 4.8, 4.9?

Phoronix: KDE On Wayland For KDE SC 4.8, 4.9?

Yesterday in Darmstadt, Germany I met up with Martin Gr??lin, the developer known for leading KDE's KWin compositing window manager advancements, and a few other Linux developers. A few words about KDE on Wayland were said...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there any support for OpenGL under Wayland? I wonder how it impact performance of games.

Comment

As of now, Wayland only runs on the KMS driver infrastructure, which basically means slow gaming performance no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
        As of now, Wayland only runs on the KMS driver infrastructure, which basically means slow gaming performance no matter what.
        Ok, but what about Nouveau or Radeon ? Radeon has proven itself to be capable in some bench. That what I wanted to know, the performance of these drivers between X and Wayland. I guess both use DRM the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
          That statement is completely false, unless you mean all 3D drivers in Mesa are slow.

On Wayland, you can use EGL to get a hardware accelerated OpenGL or GL ES 2 context, for example.

Comment

Michael: why don't you quit talking about tizen. Its not going anywhere and intel knows it. That's why they have already moved on from it to.... ANDROID.

Comment

The article quality is very low this time. It lacks coverage of the menu card and the amounts of beer you drank.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                The article quality is very low this time. It lacks coverage of the menu card and the amounts of beer you drank.
                I had a goose leg and Darmstadt Ratskeller Bock. Martin had an apple juice (he rarely drinks alcohol due to personal reasons). The others had a variety. Darmstadt Ratskeller beer isn't too bad, not as good as Bavarian but still decent.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

/all offtopic

Originally, I meant it ironically.
                  Nevermind

I'm currently in SD, I rarely see any decent food not to mention beer over here.
                  Seems, I am too spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                    /all offtopic

Originally, I meant it ironically.
                    Nevermind

I'm currently in SD, I rarely see any decent food not to mention beer over here.
                    Seems, I am too spoiled.
                    There's a mediocre brewery downtown by the W hotel. There's also a good beer store if you go a ways out like 15 miles or so north/north-east of downtown. But yeah overall it's not too good.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X