Welcoming The ioDoom3 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WillyThePimp View Post
    Exactly, when did releasing an 8-9 years old engine become the only way to contribute to OSS? The money and effort put in this would have been much better spent in many of the needs some of the better (even better than their own) engines we already have (Ogre3D, for example).

Many positive things with this release, positive useless things. Useless in the sense nothing is really being driven forward.
    Why should he release anything at all, if you are going to act like this is somehow a bad thing? Especially considering, other than legal fees (done in-house by Bethesda lawyers due to their own demands, none of the other releases had to clear legal except for maybe RTCW) how much money or effort did you expect this to have used?

I for one value having the Doom 3 source for source port purposes alone, let alone anything else. He is giving what he has to give, and I think you are being extremely rude and are doing a disservice to the community to ask more of him, especially as I do not know if you have done anything that is more productive. I know I certainly have not.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      Why should he release anything at all, if you are going to act like this is somehow a bad thing? Especially considering, other than legal fees (done in-house by Bethesda lawyers due to their own demands, none of the other releases had to clear legal except for maybe RTCW) how much money or effort did you expect this to have used?

I for one value having the Doom 3 source for source port purposes alone, let alone anything else. He is giving what he has to give, and I think you are being extremely rude and are doing a disservice to the community to ask more of him, especially as I do not know if you have done anything that is more productive. I know I certainly have not.
      Well fucking said.

@ WillyThePimp: iD Software owes you NOTHING, so take your trolling ass elsewhere if you're not here to contribute something in a positive light.

Comment

Exactly, when did releasing an 8-9 years old engine become the only way to contribute to OSS? The money and effort put in this would have been much better spent in many of the needs some of the better (even better than their own) engines we already have (Ogre3D, for example).

Many positive things with this release, positive useless things. Useless in the sense nothing is really being driven forward.
        Hopefully ID will simply ignore such posts, and continue to releasing their future engines under GPL.

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Too bad I can't find any linux friendly digital downloads for purchasing doom3+expansion.
          I've lost my original box set
          Would be fun to play around a bit with the original before delving into the gpl code.
          Not to mention all the "art" is still closed.

Why doesn't desura have doom3 ? :/

Comment

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
            Too bad I can't find any linux friendly digital downloads for purchasing doom3+expansion.
            I've lost my original box set
            Would be fun to play around a bit with the original before delving into the gpl code.
            Not to mention all the "art" is still closed.

Why doesn't desura have doom3 ? :/
            Did you not see all the links to steam? You get all the data files and the CD keys.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDill View Post
              Did you not see all the links to steam? You get all the data files and the CD keys.
              He said "Linux friendly". I find this in desura: http://www.desura.com/games/doom-iii

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                Hopefully ID will simply ignore such posts, and continue to releasing their future engines under GPL.
                Well, I doubt anyone from id is reading these forums anyway.

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                He said "Linux friendly". I find this in desura: http://www.desura.com/games/doom-iii
                That is simply a page they put up mostly for modding features, which are not supported on Linux at the moment. It will also try and find the game executable if you have it installed on your system, although it did not find mine, which is installed in /usr/local/games/doom3 which is the default. I can manually direct it to the game executable if I wanted to though.

It would be nice if you could get all the native id games through Desura though, but somehow I do not see that happening anytime soon. A real shame too, since Tux Games is not selling any id games any-more. I guess Soul_keeper's best hope is try and grab a copy second hand, so it does not at least count as another Windows sale.
                Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 29 November 2011, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Regarding MFC, IIRC these are available via the Windows Driver Development kit.

Comment

The money and effort put in this would have been much better spent in many of the needs some of the better (even better than their own) engines we already have (Ogre3D, for example).
                    Sure, iD should stop working on their own games and work to improve the existing open source engines. I'm willing to endorse this troll on the sole basis that Rage, as a game, sucks ass and is indicative of a lack of creativity within the studio.

Comment

Working...
                    X