Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcoming The ioDoom3 Project

Phoronix: Welcoming The ioDoom3 Project

Following the release of the Doom 3 source-code last night by id Software under the GNU GPLv3, an "ioDoom3" project has already been formed out of this id Tech 4 engine code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I grabbed a copy last night on my macbook and attempted to build it in XCode 4.x after updating the project from XCode 3.2... Other than the fact that Lion doesn't support PowerPC anymore (breaks the build), and a library that isn't stripping right, it seems to build ok. There are about 800-1000 deprecation warnings thrown by llvm/g++ in the process.

I then attempted to build on my x64 Ubuntu 11.10 PVR, and that failed as well. The build currently only works on a 32-bit machine, or a machine with a working multi-lib development environment, which I evidently don't have (since I always build native 64-bit stuff).

I haven't tried building in Windows yet, but they do provide a Visual Studio 2010 project as well. I've got a copy of VS laying around, but I can't say that I'll have time to install it just for a test like this.

If anyone is looking to join in the ioDoom3 effort, fixing the build for 64-bit and newer Macs, and cleaning up the large number of deprecation warnings might be a good place to start.

Comment

awesome, cant wait to see what will come out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        I haven't tried building in Windows yet, but they do provide a Visual Studio 2010 project as well. I've got a copy of VS laying around, but I can't say that I'll have time to install it just for a test like this.
        Good Luck! The solution has solution folders (not supported with express editions of visual studio) and depends on MFC (not available without a Visual Studio license).

Riot claims to have gotten it to build: http://icculus.org/~riot/doom3_vcpp_express.txt but he's missing an include to comutil.h

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          Good Luck! The solution has solution folders (not supported with express editions of visual studio) and depends on MFC (not available without a Visual Studio license).

Riot claims to have gotten it to build: http://icculus.org/~riot/doom3_vcpp_express.txt but he's missing an include to comutil.h
          I've got a VS10 Pro license, so this shouldn't be an issue. The missing include could be a problem, though. Hopefully that's an easy fix.

Comment

Dungeon Doom

I would like to see the dungeon doom package put together with these sources and transformed into a stand alone game.

DungeonDoom is a Doom 3 mod made by Borderline Interactive [1]. It is unique for the blend of classic first-person shooter gameplay and strategic elements found in role-playing games or collectible card playing games. Reviews of DungeonDoom were published in various game magazines [2]. DungeonDoom incorporates extensive character development features which are not included in the original Doom 3 game. At the start of the game, the player can choose among five different character classes: The fig

Comment

As I have boxed versions of Doom3, Doom3 ROE and Quake 4, I *really* hope iodoom will be capable of playing the game content, giving me a chance to re-enjoy Doom3 (As weird as it sounds, I *really* liked it) - this time on a decent 27" display coupled with good video card (GTX470) and 5.1 sound.

Granted, when I play, I'll have to lock my kids (and wife) so they won't have nightmares - but a man got to do, what a man got to do!

- Gilboa
              Last edited by gilboa; 24 November 2011, 04:00 AM.
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I am sure the code will work for Doom 3 and Doom 3 expansion but I dont think it includes the Quake 4 code (although it would be GREAT if that was also opened up)

Comment

Was the expansion called d3xp? The files under that dir seem slightly newer than under game.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Was the expansion called d3xp? The files under that dir seem slightly newer than under game.
                    I would indeed assume that "d3xp" is short for "Doom 3 expansion pack".

Comment

Working...
                    X