No announcement yet.

Doom 3 Source Code Published Under The GPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawrence875: Could you at the least bother to read the first page of this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
      Lawrence875: Could you at the least bother to read the first page of this thread?
      Spambot be gone

Comment

I see that the source is indeed "crippled" going by the release notes.

The Doom 3 GPL source code release does not include functionality enabling rendering of stencil shadows via the 'depth fail' method, a functionality commonly known as 'Carmack's Reverse,

Comment

Which is why Carmack's modifications involved a couple of lines, I guess.

Comment

So what does it use then? Soft shadows? Something else?

Comment

Doom 3 GPL source release. Contribute to TTimo/doom3.gpl development by creating an account on GitHub.

line 1151

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
                So what does it use then? Soft shadows? Something else?
                It's using the typical stencil volume method you see out on the web tuts.

Overall I didn't find much useful things yet in the source. Much of it is circa 2003 ARB rendering, no GLSL. The code pretty much resembles any other heavily updated Quake engine in it's techniques for rendering. It's nice and clean, and very well structured though.

Comment

I found it interesting they wrap malloc, claim the wrapper outdoes it by 70x in the best case, and is equal in th worst case.

Comment

Working...
                  X