Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Screensaver Interface Comes To Wayland

Phoronix: A Screensaver Interface Comes To Wayland

For those wishing to follow the development of Wayland Display Server, there's some new progress to report on. This time it's about supporting screensavers under Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Screensavers belong to the 90s and should be removed everywhere.

Comment

Screensavers: Back in the day(1950-1994?) the CRT monitors projectors could get "burnt inn", so the image it projected would be permanetly projected to various degrees. But by updating the monitors with different images(think per pixel or per projector), you avoided the problem.
      The problem with screensavers is that even the CRT TVs/monitors you can get your hands on are mostly immune to the burnin.

Comment

is this thing just a screenserver or something with more advanced functionality (screen locking etc)??

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
          Screensavers: Back in the day(1950-1994?) the CRT monitors projectors could get "burnt inn", so the image it projected would be permanetly projected to various degrees. But by updating the monitors with different images(think per pixel or per projector), you avoided the problem.
          The problem with screensavers is that even the CRT TVs/monitors you can get your hands on are mostly immune to the burnin.
          Well, plasma displays are still susceptible to image retention. But then again they are just a niche product. Most TVs sold today are using LCD technology.

Comment

Indeed, screensavers these days are nothing more than an annoying gimmick. I'd rather have the screen turned off completely.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Well, plasma displays are still susceptible to image retention. But then again they are just a niche product. Most TVs sold today are using LCD technology.
              LCDs can still burn in. When I was at University I recall all the screens in the Computer Commons had the login image permanently ghosted over the black desktop. I'm not sure if this affects all kinds of LCD, but certainly whatever they were using.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                is this thing just a screenserver or something with more advanced functionality (screen locking etc)??
                Yes, this is just a screensaver, or better put: an idle animation. Pure show-off eye-candy, until a second timeout will switch off the monitors (not yet implemented).

Screen locking has already been implemented, and it should work just fine. You can try it in the wayland demos. The *real* screensaver has been in the demo compositor even longer, it fades to black after an idle timeout.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                  Yes, this is just a screensaver, or better put: an idle animation. Pure show-off eye-candy, until a second timeout will switch off the monitors (not yet implemented). I'm using the term "screensaver" because everyone likely associates it with a full-screen animation that runs when the machine is idle.

Screen locking has already been implemented, and it should work just fine. You can try it in the wayland demos. The *real* screensaver has been in the demo compositor even longer, it fades to black after an idle timeout.

Comment

Yep I've seen LCD burn in ... and it was indeed a login screen at my University.

Comment

Working...
                    X