Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the trick to get gpu-acceleration on vidoe working with amd gpus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    So Crystal HD shit is the only way to get it to work like it should. Thats nice that amd builds in better grafic core if it brings nothing.
    I would hardly classify crystalhd as "shit". It works very well and is quite elegant.
    Now UVD, of course, would be better, since it is integrated with the GPU and not on the wrong side of the PCIe bus, but as long as your system can handle the uncompressed HD video, you should be good to go.

As far as the AMD Radeon open source support for UVD, they keep saying that they'll look at it, or that they are in the process of looking at it, but fact is that they need to convince LAWYERS (who don't know squat about programming) to sign off that IP conflicts are non-existent or negligible. Like it or not, hollywood has a "don't pirate" say in the process that is enforced by the evil DMCA, and AMD could get royally screwed over if they hand out something that could easily be warped into the ability to clean DRM from hollywood bluray's.

Broadcom doesn't have nearly much at risk here because CrystalHD is not widespread.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      I would hardly classify crystalhd as "shit". It works very well and is quite elegant.

Like it or not, hollywood has a "don't pirate" say in the process that is enforced by the evil DMCA, and AMD could get royally screwed over if they hand out something that could easily be warped into the ability to clean DRM from hollywood bluray's.

Broadcom doesn't have nearly much at risk here because CrystalHD is not widespread.
      I dont mean that the crystal hd thing is shit, I did mean to have to use and buy it, is shit ^^.

To the hollywood thing on torrent sites you find rips of all blurays and you can watch that with all blobs in windows and in linux, so I dont get what they have to secure, whats not possible anyway. the possibility to watch bluray with slow cpus? or what? Dont get it? But this murrons (hollywood) content mafia has no logic at all, just anti-democratic corrupt mafia systems.

Comment

To the hollywood thing on torrent sites you find rips of all blurays and you can watch that with all blobs in windows and in linux, so I dont get what they have to secure, whats not possible anyway. the possibility to watch bluray with slow cpus? or what? Dont get it? But this murrons (hollywood) content mafia has no logic at all, just anti-democratic corrupt mafia systems.
        Dude, you're preaching to the choir.
        What they don't like is if you take a bluray, decode it, and upload it for everyone to use. In THEORY, they aren't trying to prevent you from using the media. Yeah, their measures don't work.
        Unfortunately, you still need to play their games, or "legal" media won't work, only ILLEGAL media will work. Imagine what weeturd wondoze users would say/do if their AMD GPUs were banned from decoding new BD movies on wondoze....

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Dude, you're preaching to the choir.
          What they don't like is if you take a bluray, decode it, and upload it for everyone to use. In THEORY, they aren't trying to prevent you from using the media. Yeah, their measures don't work.
          Unfortunately, you still need to play their games, or "legal" media won't work, only ILLEGAL media will work. Imagine what weeturd wondoze users would say/do if their AMD GPUs were banned from decoding new BD movies on wondoze....
          So to prevent, what failed to prevent anyway, we have no good drivers. So they dont get what they want, we not what we want, a loose-loose-situation. And even because of such driver crap some people buy less media because they cant play it lag-free. But the lawers win, because they can sue amd and co for not respecting a spagethi monster or something like that.

Omg, we all will go to hell because people who have power are to stupid to understand that 1+1 = 2

Comment

Omg, we all will go to hell because people who have power are to stupid to understand that 1+1 = 2
            you mean 1 + 1 doesn't = 10? :P

Comment

I have faith that we'll eventually see the gallium3D vdpau state tracker extended to HD, and one day there will be a nice code drop courtesy of AMD's devs. The bad news is that the bulk of development takes place behind closed doors and is slowed because of the legal review process. The good news is that AMD hired more devs to work on this stuff and good things come to those who have patience.

Comment

Of course, the real question is why can Intel provide video acceleration in their open-source drivers and AMD cannot? How did they solve their IP problems? Why can't AMD do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Of course, the real question is why can Intel provide video acceleration in their open-source drivers and AMD cannot? How did they solve their IP problems? Why can't AMD do the same?
                  That's easy. Obviously H.264 decoding engine does not have to be so
                  tightly integrated to DRM hardware. But once you mix them poorly,
                  it'll take more than a silicon revision to fix that. SB got things right
                  and their decoding engine is decoupled from DRM so it can be of use.

It's either that, or AMD is using some of the patents in their silicon
                  that actually do not belong to them and don't want any litigation
                  exposure.

And that's why my next CPU will be Intel if something doesn't change.
                  HD3000 is enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Intel does not care when open-source code for their hardware is released. But perhaps AMD does not like too much technical data to be visible to everyone by just looking in the code.

Comment

Working...
                    X