Catalyst 11.11 Suse 12.1 Gnome Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 11.11 Suse 12.1 Gnome Shell

I tried to install catalyst 11.11 on Suse 12.1 with gnome shell to see the results. I generated the package and installed it just fine. I ran aticonfig --initial and rebooted. But instead of GDM loading I got a cursor with the wait symbol (spinning disk). So I can't even log in, I just get a cursor and background waiting on gdm. I then did a ctrl+alt+f3 to drop to a console, log in and remove the package, now everything is working fine on the OSS driver. Any ideas on whats causing GDM to lock up?

I had the same problem with openSUSE 12.1, so I reinstalled with the DVD version, and selected KDE, now the ATI driver is working. According to glxinfo there's no direct rendering with the ATI driver. But I tried playing ETQW, and it worked fine.

Comment

I had the same problem with openSUSE 12.1, so I reinstalled with the DVD version, and selected KDE, now the ATI driver is working. According to glxinfo there's no direct rendering with the ATI driver. But I tried playing ETQW, and it worked fine.
      Yes but I would really like to stick with gnome shell, so just changing DE's isn't an option.
      EDIT: May repost this on oepnsuse forums.

Comment

Well this is not just a display manager issue, I installed lightdm and set that as display manager. I can log in fine now, but I am greeted with a cursor and wallpaper, gnome shell does not load.

Comment

The Issue is solved!
          There is a bug with the generated RPM, but now someone has come out with a script to install the driver that solves the Issue!
          Gnome shell works flawless with the exception of some slight flicker when opening the activities screen. It is only a minor annoyance.
          Here is the script (the page is in german, but you can use google translate).

Comment

Working...
          X