A Journal Comes To systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried VLC 1.1.12.

Same old shit. Bonus points for crashing the X server with libprojectm.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
      So now I have to ask a question about pulseaudio after reading this thread.
      But I do tend to be concerned about power, if only from an efficiency/waste point of view, and from this thread it looks like I'd be better off moving to pulseaudio. True?
      If configured properly then yes. You could start from checking Arun Raghavan's blog at http://arunraghavan.net/blog/
      The savings are obviously small and more relvant on mobile side.

Comment

VLC

DaemonFC i don't know what your problem is. VLC have been my main video player for many years, and i use Xubuntu, so when Ubuntu switched to Pulseaudio some years ago, i used it. I think i remember some of the symptoms you mention back then, simply switching to ALSA output cured it. But in these days, that is no longer needed, it works with the default output.

lspci shows Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF104 High Definition Audio Controller
        Running VLC 1.1.9 right now (in the middle of watching something).

I predict my use (or not) of systemd will occur if when Debian/Ubuntu decide to use it (or not). Currently logging is handled by rsyslog.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
          DaemonFC i don't know what your problem is. VLC have been my main video player for many years, and i use Xubuntu, so when Ubuntu switched to Pulseaudio some years ago, i used it. I think i remember some of the symptoms you mention back then, simply switching to ALSA output cured it. But in these days, that is no longer needed, it works with the default output.

lspci shows Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF104 High Definition Audio Controller
          Running VLC 1.1.9 right now (in the middle of watching something).

I predict my use (or not) of systemd will occur if when Debian/Ubuntu decide to use it (or not). Currently logging is handled by rsyslog.
          VLC is most certainly not fixed. Not in Fedora or Ubuntu anyway. If you know of some magical build that works, please share. Anyway, this is off topic and I'm not going to reply anymore here on the subject of VLC. Neither 1.1.12 nor 1.2 work right for me. I don't care what they claim to have fixed or rewritten, it doesn't work any better than what was there before.

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA).

As for systemd, which is on topic, I have used it since it was merged into Fedora 15 and continue to use it on Fedora 16. It hasn't given me problems in either case, though it did get a lot faster when Fedora 16 replaced dozens of sysvinit scripts with native systemd units. Compared to Debian or Ubuntu, Fedora 16 boots nearly twice as fast.

sysvinit and upstart are the past. The idea of stop. run script. start something. stop, run script. start something else. stop. run a script that says we need to load things we don't need. stop. load. stop. load. stop. load is better left to Ubuntu users at this point.

If the whole world worked like traditional UNIX init we'd be in serious trouble. Everything important would take 2-3 times longer to accomplish.
          Last edited by DaemonFC; 22 November 2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

An interesting article on journal

Back on topic:
            An interesting article on the Journal system.

Comment

Working...
            X