FreeBSD 9.0 RC2 Arrives Late, Pushes Back Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfer View Post
    Daemon, I'm not about to get into a lengthy drawn out debate on the pro's/cons of BSD. I will say, however, your ramblings are a great collection of half-truths with a strong hint of over-zealous passion for your 'ideal' OS.

Sounds eerily familiar to the arguments thrown at Linux years ago oddly enough. It sucked on the desktop...remember?

Truth is there are different tools for different jobs. BSD might not be perfect for one situation but it just might be ideal for another. As is the case with pretty much any OS out there right now including Linux, Windows, OSX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD...etc. etc. Nice to have choices, eh? For me, BSD is just fine. Sorry it 'sux' for you. But don't fret...you have plenty of distro's out there to toy with. Win/Win situation!

And yes, FreeBSD is just fine on desktop for general computing. I run it on 'modern' hardware just fine. Fortunately Nvidia provides me a driver to do just that.
    I think I've said everything I want to say about the BSDs, if my point hasn't come across by this point I'm either doing something wrong or preaching to people who don't want to listen. I'd guess the second part.

Nvidia as a company disgusts me, their driver might be decent, but it is proprietary and they actively oppose any attempts to make it work at all with freely licensed open source software. The political activities of their senior management is another prong in my two-pronged "I don't buy Nvidia because..." argument. Their board is like a bunch of stodgy old cigar smoking villains from a James Bond movie who do things like take company money to hand out to the theocrats in California to help pass Proposition 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Unlike the GPL, BSD licensing ensures open standards and consistency. If you want horrible fragmentation (like what happened with XHTML/CSS), feel free to worship the GPL. If you want consistent and open standards, then BSD licensing is the way to go.
      It does not ensure consistency at all. It even encourages some companies to make their own "standards" in incompatible ways. Give the code under BSD and get nothing back.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        It does not ensure consistency at all. It even encourages some companies to make their own "standards" in incompatible ways. Give the code under BSD and get nothing back.
        I should have written "promotes" rather than "ensures", although the meaning is fairly close. At the same time, you are wrong about it encouraging companies to make things incompatible. The BSD TCP/IP stack was copied by all operating systems, including Linux, and they are all largely compatible. Breaking compatibility makes developers' lives harder, so they avoid it unless they have a good reason to do it.

As for giving code under BSD licensing and getting nothing back, isn't that an issue with GPL advocates? They take whatever they want, they never give anything back and then they complain about other people wanting to do that to them. On that topic, have you ever made contributions to open source software or are you one of those leeches who uses code, doesn't contribute anything and then thinks he is an expert on how programmers should do things, despite not knowing any respectable programming language himself and having no intention to ever learn?

With that said, the entire basis of the GPL and other restrictive licenses is the idea that people can claim ownership of numbers, which is absurd. Software is little much than a bunch of polynomials. Telling people what they can and cannot do with polynomials is absurd.
        Last edited by Shining Arcanine; 19 November 2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
          I think I've said everything I want to say about the BSDs, if my point hasn't come across by this point I'm either doing something wrong or preaching to people who don't want to listen. I'd guess the second part.

Nvidia as a company disgusts me, their driver might be decent, but it is proprietary and they actively oppose any attempts to make it work at all with freely licensed open source software. The political activities of their senior management is another prong in my two-pronged "I don't buy Nvidia because..." argument. Their board is like a bunch of stodgy old cigar smoking villains from a James Bond movie who do things like take company money to hand out to the theocrats in California to help pass Proposition 8.
          DaemonFC, you should design your own hardware if it bothers you.

Comment

DaemonFC, you should design your own hardware if it bothers you.
            I switched to all AMD years ago. Linux handles it fine, FreeBSD gives me a nice fat VESA framebuffer driver with 1368 x 768 display resolution on my $400 GPU and my $300 monitor. Boo.

Comment

They take whatever they want, they never give anything back and then they complain about other people wanting to do that to them.
              No, they use code ACCORDING to the licence it's under, they give back according to their preferred licence. If you see yourself as a BSD advocate then why the hell would you argue against the use of BSD code in GPL projects? Saying it's fine if BSD code is used in proprietary projects while complaining about it being used in GPL projects makes no sense.

With that said, the entire basis of the GPL and other restrictive licenses is the idea that people can claim ownership of numbers, which is absurd. Software is little much than a bunch of polynomials. Telling people what they can and cannot do with polynomials is absurd.
              Then you must be totally against proprietary code, not to mention commercial proprietary code. Hell, even the BSD licence DEMANDS that you keep the copyright appropriation, I mean how can they claim ownership of numbers?... absurd was it?

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                No, they use code ACCORDING to the licence it's under, they give back according to their preferred licence. If you see yourself as a BSD advocate then why the hell would you argue against the use of BSD code in GPL projects? Saying it's fine if BSD code is used in proprietary projects while complaining about it being used in GPL projects makes no sense.

Then you must be totally against proprietary code, not to mention commercial proprietary code. Hell, even the BSD licence DEMANDS that you keep the copyright appropriation, I mean how can they claim ownership of numbers?... absurd was it?
                The amusing thing about the minimal protections of the BSD license, wrt copyright preservation, is that companies like Apple can comply with the license by putting the copyright somewhere you'll never see it and calling it OS X. Then nobody who ever uses OS X will see it or know Apple didn't invent it.

Comment

The linux community is no longer Open source friendly, they are only linux friendly, they are just like windows junkies.
                  I laugh that you post a link about non linux kde users are less then 1% of their user base as some sort of point. When a company says
                  1% of their users are linux users, you'll scream and shout that they need to support your OS.

Comment

Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                    The linux community is no longer Open source friendly, they are only linux friendly
                    Based upon what?

Comment

Sorry, I should say the phoronix community.

Comment

Working...
                      X