Desura's Public Linux Client Is Here With 65+ Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, a lot of things I need to correct here:

Desura is not only for independent developers, though that is their primary target. They would willingly accept anyone who wishes to publish through them.

Incognito and SickBrick do use a WINE wrapper for the moment, though they are going to release proper native ports at a later date. They are waiting on their being support for it in their engine, which is made by them, so that should not take too long. Personally, I would rather they did not advertise Linux support until that time, but that is how it currently stands.

LGP never had anything to do with NWN and it is highly unlikely we will see it on Desura because BioWare most likely would never be interested any more. That ship has sailed a long time ago, and I was under the impression that the native port was somewhat crippled as it does not include the videos for it anyway, even though BinkVideo was later ported to Linux.

Desura is only a distribution platform. As far as I know, they have no ownership over any of the games on their service other than the right to distribute them as granted by the original developers. So if you want something changed or added, talk to or petition them and not Desura itself. If there is a game that has a Linux version but is not being distributed through Desura, contact the developers.

Personally I would be against WINE wrappers as it would be difficult to handle, require way too much input from the game devs for little return, and I would rather them treat it as a marketplace only for Linux native titles. This is the perfect opportunity to build a Linux games infrastructure based on Linux rather than Windows. I think that is more important than a short-term increase in the quantity of available titles. Not that I speak for the Desura guys of course, but I hope that is the approach they take.

As to the people having issues with the client, I wish you luck. It is working fine on my system running Fedora 16.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 17 November 2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I have installed Desura in Debian sid and I find it great. I've activated my my humble bundles and purchased a game with 75% off. The downloads are fast and all games work flawlessly. Installing and launching games from one interface makes everything a lot easier especially if your accustomed to steam.

I hope Desura's Linux games portfolio will grow over time

Comment

Great stuff...

Gotta a lot of respect for what the guys at ModDB are trying to do with Desura!!

Bob

Comment

I've been using it since the closed beta, and it really is awesome. It's still lacking in some aspects compared to Steam, but in other ways it's better. I think they've done an impressive job of handling various distributions and libraries, and I agree with the technical reasons they have for doing it the way they did. I've already picked up a bunch of games on Desura, and like how it's possible to interact directly with the developers.

I also want to say, and I think I already have in another thread, that Desura can be an awesome thing for FOSS games as well. The main thing lacking from FOSS games, as i'm sure most will agree, is content. We already have a handful of nice engines and tools. Desura has a decade of ModDB user support behind it, many of whom have created some awesome mods over the years. Desura is helping to bring these two communities together, and I think that it'll be great for FOSS games in general.

Comment

Just tried it out last night (I was in the beta, but I was a bad beta-er, and didn't try it during that time). The client did crash once while downloading something, but other than that, it was rock solid. It even picked up where it left off downloading after verifying the integrity of what it had already downloaded.

I tried out my copy of steel storm, and it worked nearly flawlessly, even at Eyefinity 4800x900. The only thing is I wish the menus were better designed for such a wide resolution (very stretched), but the actual game looked and ran fine. Gonna try out Trine soon, too.

Comment

I just redeemed my steelstorm for desura. not a bad client actually, works quite well.
              just need to get some more linux games on there

Comment

They have been doing fairly well at that, even though I have heard about most of the new games before from other sources, so no "new" games but it is becoming a very valuable collection.

Comment

I love downloading FOSS games through Desura.

Comment

Working...
                  X