Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade system to watch 1080p movies (improve graphical performance)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all mplayer 2 is much newer. I have got a script for that but i have got no free hd to test u. Well mplayer2 could be tested live if needed, in theory it should work... try it if you like. I see no reason to change global config files.

I did never tell you to use ffodivxvdpau because you need a card newer than gf 210 to do so, but divx is easy to handle. But it should not be a problem to use still the vdpau output, if that does not work for you then add a "," or ",xv". When you use cli then you see errors... Using a stupid gui is always problematic for valid error reports.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      First of all mplayer 2 is much newer. I have got a script for that but i have got no free hd to test u. Well mplayer2 could be tested live if needed, in theory it should work... try it if you like. I see no reason to change global config files.

I did never tell you to use ffodivxvdpau because you need a card newer than gf 210 to do so, but divx is easy to handle. But it should not be a problem to use still the vdpau output, if that does not work for you then add a "," or ",xv". When you use cli then you see errors... Using a stupid gui is always problematic for valid error reports.
      Hi, thanks for the answer.

I'm a noob so I do much test and error things (like the ffodivxvdpau which was mentioned somewhere, but as it didn't work I removed it and never used after... and actually running mplayer2 from cli give an error like "codec not supported").

For what is the script? I didn't get it... nor seeing the script.

Installed mplayer2 again... running mplayer2 from cli I can see the avi's are opened using ffodivx, and when I use smplayer (and avi doesn't play) in "view info and properties" (no cli errors) it appears that the codec being used is ffodivxvdpau (so thats the problem... somehow smplayer selects ffodivxvdpau which as you said is unsupported by my card). I added ffodivx, to the vc line of the config with no luck, so added on smplayer advanced preferences on the "extra options to pass to mplayer":
      Code:
      -vc ffmpeg12vdpau,ffh264vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffodivx,
      and now it works and when opening an avi it uses ffodivx by default.

So now I'm using mplayer2 (on smplayer which I like as a GUI), and can use vdpau for divx besides from h264 and other formats.

So thanks a lot for your help, your time, your patience , the info, and for encouraging me to use mplayer2, not to make system wide config changes, and to use cli to get more info (by the way smplayer didn't give any error when running it from cli with avi's it couldn't open... I tried it when I realized that gnome player and mplayer didn't have problems reproducing avi's).

Cheers,
      Mguel

PS: and I also removed the system setting modification I made to mplayer.conf and all is working fine.
      Edit: adding the xv, to vo on ~/.mplayer/config didn't solved the problem with smplayer
      Last edited by Mguel; 19 November 2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Usually your error can only happy when you forget the "," at the end of the vc override line.
        Last edited by Kano; 19 November 2011, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Usually your error can only happy when you forget the "," at the end of the vc override line.
          removed the end "," then

Comment

Working...
          X