Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

Best driver since 11.06! Finally, they've fixed not only the corner mouse lag bug but OpenCL threads no longer busywait on a CPU core each! Absolutely fantastic. I'm seeing usable Wine performance, very few rendering glitches, and so far no lockups.

fglrx may not perfect but it's usable. At least with gnome2. Maybe I just haven't run it long enough to find all the rough edges, but for *my* use cases I can definitely say an ATI card is, as of fglrx 11.11, viable under Linux.

Bitcoin mania has given me $700 to spend on my next video card. Until this driver I was 100% convinced NV was getting that $, but now I'm thinking the red team could also be a contender. This release has vastly narrowed the gap between the two options in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    CATIA is not in the same category as 3DS/Blender. The only shared facet is that CATIA works with three-dimensional models. The similarities in use and functionality end there.
    I already point out that if blender do not cover the need for CATIA users they should build a open-source alternative version call it opensource-catia.

Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    While your opinion regarding Maya/3DS may be valid, your lack of social grace hinders the message that you're trying to deliver. In fact, it probably has an adverse effect on the promotion of F/OSS software as a viable alternative to encumbered offerings.
    Sure "social grace" is not my strong part.

But in fact "Blender" is a weight for the open-source driver.
    Blender is designed to not support model politics like "FireGL/Quatro" or "Closed source like catalist or the nvidia driver.".
    And the "Blender" dudes will never slave them self by adding features to force them to use Quatro/FireGL cards or using closed source drivers.

maybe they are to smart to be a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by semhustej View Post
    Yes, Blender works well with OSS driver, but OpenGL performance is better with fglrx. I had to switch to fglrx, because I had serious viewport slowdowns working with large 3D models in Blender. It's much better with fglrx. It's a shame, because OSS driver has better 2D performance and dual-head setup is easier.
    I'd probably need better graphics card to be able to work with OSS radeon driver. I've seen good progress in OpenGL preformance of radeon driver so I'm hopeful for the future.
    what kind of graphic card do you use? do you use the lastest radeon driver and latest kernel?
    i already use kernel 3.2 rc2 and mesa 7.12devel (git-oibaf) version.
    i do have a hd4770 in my pc right now.

maybe buy a faster graphic card is the better choice than using catalyst LOL

I think 3DS max doesn't even have linux version - only windows and mac.
    wine dosn't count ? http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=2588

CATIA is completely different type of software than Blender, as mentioned above.
    why not start a open-source project to compete against CATIA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    what kind of graphic card do you use? do you use the lastest radeon driver and latest kernel?

I use HD 4250, I know I could use FOSS driver if I'd buy with faster graphics, but fglrx and hd 4250 is enough for me now.
    I don't use latest drivers, just plain fedora repo stuff. Last time (a month ago) i checked with current archlinux FOSS drver, fglrx was still noticeably faster.

I forgot about wine.

I am not a CATIA user. I am not a programmer. Why should I start open-source project to compete against CATIA?

The point I wanted to make is that for some people - like me - fglrx driver works better than FOSS driver. I don't want to sacrifice power of my graphics card just to use OSS driver.

Default ASIC hang happended

Have anybody noticed freezes / hangs with this driver + Archlinux?
    I have recently changed from Ubuntu 11.10 (Gnome + unity) to Archlinux + kde 4.7.3 (which rocks). Since then, I have had crashes when playing 3d games. I did not notice any crashes with Ubuntu.

After ~20 min of playing in Archlinux, I get the following errors:
    http://pastebin.com/A4LPJyZm (Relevant lines in kernel.log)

When the crash / freeze happens, I am able to ssh into the machine from another computer and make a clean reboot. But I am not able to kill -9 X and restart kde.

I have tried the latest Archlinux kernel (3.1.1) and the LTS kernel (2.6.32) and they both crashes.
    Does anybody else have this problem or know how to fix this?

EDIT:
    I am using xorg-server 1.11.2
    Last edited by tball; 11-21-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post

I have a weak graphic card, HD 4250. I don't use latest kernel, just plain fedora repository one. When I last chcecked (in September), radeon driver was still lacking OpenGl performance compared to fglrx.
    Using fglrx driver is better choice for me than buying faster card .

I forgot about wine. Didn't see any success running newer versions of 3DS max, though.

I am not a CATIA user. I am not a programmer. I don't see any point in me starting an open source project to compete against CATIA.

My original point was that for some people fglrx driver works better than FOSS driver. You can use it for work in Blender, but fglrx is superior in this scenario.

I just tried these drivers with a firepro M8900 on ubuntu 11.10 and had major artifacting / rendering issues with transparency and fonts.

Good news is the open-source drivers are still working for me quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by tball View Post
    Have anybody noticed freezes / hangs with this driver + Archlinux?
    I have recently changed from Ubuntu 11.10 (Gnome + unity) to Archlinux + kde 4.7.3 (which rocks). Since then, I have had crashes when playing 3d games. I did not notice any crashes with Ubuntu.

After ~20 min of playing in Archlinux, I get the following errors:
    http://pastebin.com/A4LPJyZm (Relevant lines in kernel.log)

When the crash / freeze happens, I am able to ssh into the machine from another computer and make a clean reboot. But I am not able to kill -9 X and restart kde.

I have tried the latest Archlinux kernel (3.1.1) and the LTS kernel (2.6.32) and they both crashes.
    Does anybody else have this problem or know how to fix this?

EDIT:
    I am using xorg-server 1.11.2
    EDIT2:
    Well, after experimenting with using sun / oracles JAVA instead of the OpenJDK JAVA, everything seems fine (I am playing games via java).

Thumbs up Fedora Verne KDE Working with Catalyst 11.11 - Steps

You may want to download the package that available here. http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run .

You have to download the updates with the command:

# yum upgrade

Although one of the updates are installing a new kernel so you Should REBOOT the computer and enter Fedora Verne KDE with the new kernel.

After this update you should install the kernel headers and the GCC compiler:

# yum install gcc kernel-headers kernel-devel

At this point you must exit the graphics mode with this command:

# init 3

From here, log in as root with the command cd to the directory where you downloaded the drivers and run the command:

# bash ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run

Follow the on screen instructions , Use Recommended Install on Wizard , and restart the computer at the end with the command:

# reboot

When you restart you can finally enjoy 3D acceleration!

Check your Graphics working with these commands :
    # fgl_glxgears
    # fglrxinfo
    # glxgears

glxgears result on Radeon HD 5970 : ~39769 Frames in 5 seconds

Driver is working somewhat well for me right now, other than the occasional gnome-shell crash and rendering glitches.

- can't suspend on Arch Linux. I have Debian sid on a different partition and that one suspends fine though.

- Tear-free option is ignored under gnome-shell (and mutter). This is specially bad when playing movies, is there a way to force it? Right now I switch to metacity for watching movies.

- Xv movie playback under any video player crashes Xorg. Luckily mplayer-vaapi works great in this release, low CPU usage (for both mplayer and Xorg) and great performance. I got gstreamer-vaapi working but totem can't seem to play movies with it.

I also did a battery usage test to compare fglrx and the open source driver: I get about 4 hours of battery life with the open source driver, 5 hours with fglrx. I also get about 5 hours under Windows so I'm very happy with these results.

If Flash supported xvba acceleration and the above issues were fixed then things would be perfect for me.