AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASIC hang happended

Have anybody noticed freezes / hangs with this driver + Archlinux?
    I have recently changed from Ubuntu 11.10 (Gnome + unity) to Archlinux + kde 4.7.3 (which rocks). Since then, I have had crashes when playing 3d games. I did not notice any crashes with Ubuntu.

After ~20 min of playing in Archlinux, I get the following errors:
    http://pastebin.com/A4LPJyZm (Relevant lines in kernel.log)

When the crash / freeze happens, I am able to ssh into the machine from another computer and make a clean reboot. But I am not able to kill -9 X and restart kde.

I have tried the latest Archlinux kernel (3.1.1) and the LTS kernel (2.6.32) and they both crashes.
    Does anybody else have this problem or know how to fix this?

EDIT:
    I am using xorg-server 1.11.2
    Last edited by tball; 21 November 2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      what kind of graphic card do you use? do you use the lastest radeon driver and latest kernel?
      i already use kernel 3.2 rc2 and mesa 7.12devel (git-oibaf) version.
      i do have a hd4770 in my pc right now.

maybe buy a faster graphic card is the better choice than using catalyst LOL
      I have a weak graphic card, HD 4250. I don't use latest kernel, just plain fedora repository one. When I last chcecked (in September), radeon driver was still lacking OpenGl performance compared to fglrx.
      Using fglrx driver is better choice for me than buying faster card .

I forgot about wine. Didn't see any success running newer versions of 3DS max, though.

why not start a open-source project to compete against CATIA ?
      I am not a CATIA user. I am not a programmer. I don't see any point in me starting an open source project to compete against CATIA.

My original point was that for some people fglrx driver works better than FOSS driver. You can use it for work in Blender, but fglrx is superior in this scenario.

Comment

I just tried these drivers with a firepro M8900 on ubuntu 11.10 and had major artifacting / rendering issues with transparency and fonts.

Good news is the open-source drivers are still working for me quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
          Have anybody noticed freezes / hangs with this driver + Archlinux?
          I have recently changed from Ubuntu 11.10 (Gnome + unity) to Archlinux + kde 4.7.3 (which rocks). Since then, I have had crashes when playing 3d games. I did not notice any crashes with Ubuntu.

After ~20 min of playing in Archlinux, I get the following errors:
          http://pastebin.com/A4LPJyZm (Relevant lines in kernel.log)

When the crash / freeze happens, I am able to ssh into the machine from another computer and make a clean reboot. But I am not able to kill -9 X and restart kde.

I have tried the latest Archlinux kernel (3.1.1) and the LTS kernel (2.6.32) and they both crashes.
          Does anybody else have this problem or know how to fix this?

EDIT:
          I am using xorg-server 1.11.2
          EDIT2:
          Well, after experimenting with using sun / oracles JAVA instead of the OpenJDK JAVA, everything seems fine (I am playing games via java).

Comment

Fedora Verne KDE Working with Catalyst 11.11 - Steps

You may want to download the package that available here. http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run .

You have to download the updates with the command:

# yum upgrade

Although one of the updates are installing a new kernel so you Should REBOOT the computer and enter Fedora Verne KDE with the new kernel.

After this update you should install the kernel headers and the GCC compiler:

# yum install gcc kernel-headers kernel-devel

At this point you must exit the graphics mode with this command:

# init 3

From here, log in as root with the command cd to the directory where you downloaded the drivers and run the command:

# bash ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run

Follow the on screen instructions , Use Recommended Install on Wizard , and restart the computer at the end with the command:

# reboot

When you restart you can finally enjoy 3D acceleration!

Check your Graphics working with these commands :
            # fgl_glxgears
            # fglrxinfo
            # glxgears

glxgears result on Radeon HD 5970 : ~39769 Frames in 5 seconds

Comment

Driver is working somewhat well for me right now, other than the occasional gnome-shell crash and rendering glitches.

- can't suspend on Arch Linux. I have Debian sid on a different partition and that one suspends fine though.

- Tear-free option is ignored under gnome-shell (and mutter). This is specially bad when playing movies, is there a way to force it? Right now I switch to metacity for watching movies.

- Xv movie playback under any video player crashes Xorg. Luckily mplayer-vaapi works great in this release, low CPU usage (for both mplayer and Xorg) and great performance. I got gstreamer-vaapi working but totem can't seem to play movies with it.

I also did a battery usage test to compare fglrx and the open source driver: I get about 4 hours of battery life with the open source driver, 5 hours with fglrx. I also get about 5 hours under Windows so I'm very happy with these results.

If Flash supported xvba acceleration and the above issues were fixed then things would be perfect for me.

Comment

"This means the recently-released Fedora 11 should now work."

Too many elevens in article.

(Also, the link is not working for me; says "file not found")

Comment

Originally posted by Massa View Post
                  - can't suspend on Arch Linux. I have Debian sid on a different partition and that one suspends fine though.
                  This was my fault, I forgot to properly disable KMS/radeon. Fixed now!

Comment

It seems, that the tearing has gotten more worse than in 11.10.

Will AMD every fix this problem? And again there is something big announced for the 11.12 catalyst. Thank you so much! STOP implementing new features, and start finishing the simpliest driverfeatures! the old driver isn't even usable in 2D environment... That sucks so hard!

BTW using a HD5770. Nvidia has to announce the new gtx-generation. Then AMD will never see any more cash from my side!

Comment

Originally posted by psuch View Post
                      Will AMD every fix this problem? And again there is something big announced for the 11.12 catalyst. Thank you so much! STOP implementing new features, and start finishing the simpliest driverfeatures! the old driver isn't even usable in 2D environment... That sucks so hard!

BTW using a HD5770
                      haha, u sound like me when I got my hd5770 which I guess was about two years ago now.....and, while things are better in catalyst now than then, its not by very much.

They implemented the tear free option earlier this year, which does seem to solve most tearing, however it takes up what seems to be most of ur cards onboard memory which causes issue when trying to do gpu intensive things, and worse still I have always experienced some degree of a micro-lag. This lag shows itself whenever I play HD videos, and since the dawning of unity on ubuntu (which I use only because I hate gnome 3, and am too lazy to figure out another desktop for the time being) all compiz effects, which are already much slower than releases past, are often choppy. Oh yeah, and with tear free on scrolling in a maximized browser on my 1080p display is just horrendously slow and choppy.

So if u ask me, what u really want to happen, at least as long as u have this card, is for dynamic power management in the open source driver to be rewritten so that it actually works, because the open source drivers, while miles behind in its 3d features (but catching up), is absolutely a superior experience. If they didn't make my cards fan spin like a bastard, and force me to manually choose everytime I need to change the power setting I would definately be using it right now

Comment

Working...
                      X