AMD Catalyst 11.11 Brings Critical Linux Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any preformance improvements?

11.10 brought much of it (at least for my special case WoTFLIX->Wine1.23+WorldOfTanks).

Comment

It is still unusable for A+I Mux systems. In fact, it makes the computer unusable. X marks it as a "warning" but in fact it blocks X from loading at all.

Error reported is:

PowerXpress feature is not supported on A+I Mux platform. Please uninstall fglrx driver.

This became broken with 11.9 and is still broken.

Comment

I've just installed it on my Debian Testing machine. Xorg 1.11 support at last! It works pretty well.

- Browser scroll is really fluid.

- $ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

>> direct rendering: Yes

- No problems with wine either. I notice a bit of speed improvement in a couple of DX 9 apps

However, when I login with Gnome3 it works slooow, much more than open source driver and shows graphical corruption
        Hopefully for Catalyst 11.12 they'll fix some of this.
        Last edited by blackdragon; 15 November 2011, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Installed it for ubuntu 11.10 performance looks same nothing new for me. Its not fluid for me.

Comment

Fedora 15 64 bit Gnome Version 3.0.1,X.Org X Server 1.10.1

Will the Catalyst 11.11 Work with Fedora 15 Gnome Version 3 ?
            Anybody out there with success?
            My Card is Radeon HD 3870.
            I'm Considering Switch to KDE desktop if this doesn't support Gnome.

Comment

A quick note about ubuntu's, I'm still running catalyst 11.10.
              From my experience, compiz 0.9.x is much slower than 0.8.x with catalyst, I don't know why, I have tested that multiple times and the result is the same. With 0.8.x + G2 compiz works silky smooth, even with 2 monitors, with 0.9.x it's not silky smooth but with one monitor it IS usable, with two - it's slideshow. So either compiz 0.9.x is NOT ready for primetime yet or they just started using features which catalyst don't support well. I can't comment on nVidia as I don't have any card which is recent.
              A simple test case which I run to verify my findings are, yes, much loved glxgears See, the same HW, same kernel, same catalyst version, compiz 0.9.x gives me at max 1000 fps for my HD3650M, compiz 0.8.x gives me 3500 fps or so with one monitor, two monitors with 0.8.x gives me roughly the same, compiz 0.9.x (unity) gives me 500, which is MUCH slower, it sometimes drops to 25 and stays there, I don't get how that works, but it's not consistent, it is slow but even slowness is not consistent, garbage.
              Please don't be confused with FPS as a value, it has no meaning for comparison, please see the difference, it's awful. And somehow I doubt it's catalyst as 0.8.x performs brilliant.
              Similar findings were in archlinux using compiz 0.9.2 at the time and 0.8.6, difference vas clearly visible.
              On the other hand, KDE4 since 4.7.2 performs just really nice and fluid even with 11.8, it's just that I can't use it due to other reasons.
              Last edited by Kirurgs; 16 November 2011, 03:12 AM.

Comment

It still sucks

Originally posted by symcracker View Post
                Hi there, no it won't work for neither Fedora 15 or 16. I am running both systems. I swear: never ever ATI /AMD again. You go KDE, that'll be fine. Besides the annoying fact that plasma-netbook maximizes all windows it is a fast and nice replacement which works flawless with the 11.10-driver (i did not test the 11.11 with KDE yet). Ati really sucks.

Comment

I assume PowerXpress (switchable dual intel&amd graphics) still doesnt work?

Comment

It still sucks.

Originally posted by symcracker View Post
                    It still sucks on Fedora 15 and 16. Go and switch to KDE, i did the switch to plasma-netbook and it works like a charm.

Comment

any changelog ?

Comment

Working...
                      X