X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes & Noble vs. MS, android patent issues

Found here when reading the news coming home from work
    (German)
    Der Buchhändler Barnes & Noble hat vor kurzem beim US-Kartellamt eine formelle Beschwerde gegen die Klage von Microsoft eingelegt. Die jetzt veröffentlichten Dokumente machen klar, dass Microsoft...

but the very publication here on Groklaw

Barnes and Noble finally was able to get the very patents public that MS was sueing Android suppliers about. Didn't read it all, but according to the news they're trivial. Well, we didn't expect much else, did we?
    So maybe they can be rendered invalid and then MS will no more gain money from every Android installation. (They make more money with patent licenses than with their WP7)
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

I'm not a coder but even the FAT stuff shouldn't be too bright, MS sometimes just used the longer than 8.3 naming scheme as a big invention.
    Though not using FAT, well, a lot of end users still use VFAT since 90% of all USB-sticks etc. come with it and most cameras use it as file system on flash cards.
    Even TomTom iirc. was sued about the use if VFAT inside the navi devices.

Comment

The MS innovation tax is just another good old fashioned racketeering/shakedown of the competition. They can't compete by making good products, so they try to make good products more expensive than theirs through patent "royalties". Apple does the same thing to try to make Android illegal to sell in the US. They fear it because it's already outselling Crapple OS Mobile at more than a 2 to 1 ratio.

It should be illegal, unfortunately they own so many US politicians and judges that it never will be.

Apple and Microsoft can only compete the same way Al Capone did, you pay your "protection" money and he'd call off the enforcers.
      Last edited by DaemonFC; 15 November 2011, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        yes only FUD with trivial patents ...

i think only fat32 matters and andorid4.0 do not use it anymore because of this.
        Why would you use FAT?

It can't be technical merit unless this is 1982.

Seriously though, I think it's stupid to pay MS patent tax on FAT when these idiots at companies like Sandisk could just use Ext2, install a Windows userspace driver for it, and not owe SweatyB anything.

The only possible reasons you'd use FAT is if you care about Windows or that's all the device supports because the manufacturer is stupid. It's such an ancient pile of crap. So much overhead, so unreliable. Microsoft tax.

Comment

Exactly that is what I wonder: Why is every camera, USB stick file system and everything else using FAT?
          And yes, I wonder why nobody ever thought about using any free FS and just writing a Windows driver for it. And if they're afraid of the GPL there'd probably be some BSD licensed FS.
          But I guess they're all too lazy and to have everything readable out of the box for MS Windows users they stick with this horribly old FAT. Not enough critical mass, not enough burden, not enough MS tax yet as it seems.
          In the heise.de user forum everybody complained when exFAT arrived and first vendors jumped on that stupid train.
          Problem is probably that vendors are not unified and need an external source to set/dictate their standards. One company alone will not leave the row and step out and go with ext2 or whatever. Seems they all need to step at once or it needs a few brave pioneers.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Exactly that is what I wonder: Why is every camera, USB stick file system and everything else using FAT?
            Because FAT is the only universally-supported file system, because it's simple and well-understood and comes included with Windows.

Sure, you could install a ZFS driver on Windows, but good luck getting every Windows user to install that when they buy a digital camera.

Comment

Working...
            X