Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: The Increasing Size Of The Linux Kernel

Floating around the Linux kernel mailing list information is some new data about the evolution of the Linux kernel's size. Obviously, it's getting larger...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really not certain Phoronix is allowed to claim copyright on an image that someone else made......... let alone reserve their rights.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
      I'm really not certain Phoronix is allowed to claim copyright on an image that someone else made......... let alone reserve their rights.
      Originally posted by phoronix
      His findings can be found on the mailing list and the graph is on his blog (the GNUplot result is also embedded below for quick reference).
      I see no copyright issue. Link, author, reference to image, no prohibition of image usage for quick ref.

------------

Modulize!
      Stable API would be great from user perspective, now apparently from that of driver developer.
      Last edited by crazycheese; 12 November 2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        ------------

Modulize!
        Did you click on the image?

Look at this: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a5o74yea

Comment

If you click on the embedded image, it clearly says Copyright Phoronix, all rights are reserved... Also, the huge watermark that incidetally hinders perception is also an infringement on copyright, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
            If you click on the embedded image, it clearly says Copyright Phoronix, all rights are reserved... Also, the huge watermark that incidetally hinders perception is also an infringement on copyright, IMHO.
            Exactly. I tried to post a link to a screenshot highlighting those parts, but it needed moderation approval or something...

Link: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a5o74yea

Hey! it worked that time. Look and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
              Did you click on the image?

Look at this: http://awesomescreenshot.com/0a5o74yea
              Watermark is set for all phoronix-hosted images, for example all AMD marketing slides have phoronix copyright on them too.
              Technical limitation/shortcomming - script handles all phoronix-hosted images, whether work of Michael or quick-references, in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Watermark is set for all phoronix-hosted images, for example all AMD marketing slides have phoronix copyright on them too.
                Technical limitation/shortcomming - script handles all phoronix-hosted images, whether work of Michael or quick-references, in the same way.
                I don't think that the fact that it is automatic makes it okay. Brings into question Phoronix's tendency to do that, actually. I mean, if they don't respect the copyright of others, how dare they slap their own copyright on images?

Comment

Doesn't matter. It's still copyright infringement. Illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
                    I don't think that the fact that it is automatic makes it okay. Brings into question Phoronix's tendency to do that, actually. I mean, if they don't respect the copyright of others, how dare they slap their own copyright on images?
                    I fully agree. Automation is not a defense in this case. He knew it would slap the copyrights onto that image by posting it like that. Better a hotlinked image than one with illegal copyright claims. I love Phoronix, but this has got to stop. I'm glad crazycheese brought it to my attention that this is more widespread than I thought it was. I dislike watermarking as much as the next guy, it shouldn't be done on images that aren't your own, not to mention when they interfere with the image itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X