Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Hell Freeze Over? Intel Mesa Does GLSL 1.30!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Qaridarium

You just want to try it without buying intel hardware, did i get it right

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      can this be ported (the glsl work i mean) easily to G3D so that the rest of the drivers can use it???
      I think so, yes.

Comment

can this be ported (the glsl work i mean) easily to G3D so that the rest of the drivers can use it???
        The GLSL compiler is shared among all drivers, including Gallium, and some Gallium drivers should be mostly ready for this. It's more a matter of passing all tests than anything else (there for sure isn't any porting needed).

Comment

Actually, the GLSL compiler front-end is shared between all drivers?including the Gallium ones?so the lion's share of GLSL 1.30 is already in place. There are a few major changes that require hardware-specific code, such as real integer support, and gl_ClipDistance. Bryan Cain and others did a lot of work to support native integers on Gallium, so I think that's in place. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the other drivers are able to support 1.30 fairly soon.

For GL 3, there's a lot more hardware-specific work needed.
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            The GLSL compiler is shared among all drivers, including Gallium, and some Gallium drivers should be mostly ready for this. It's more a matter of passing all tests than anything else (there for sure isn't any porting needed).

>GLSL 1.30 (GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, etc.) started
            DONE?

Comment

So the vast majority of the stuff needed for GL3 are in Mesa now (there are only a couple of extensions missing), but not all hardware accelerates all of it yet.

Can anyone estimate how far individual hardware drivers are from supporting all of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                @Qaridarium

You just want to try it without buying intel hardware, did i get it right
                It would be nice to have this stuff in a driver for hardware that doesn't run games from 2004 (Doom 3) at 12 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                  Well, at the least opengl 4.2.
                  The hell can be frozen over many times with Linux, since nothing is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                    You're wrong Mike, if hell were to freeze over, we'd have steam for linux.
                    This comment has aged like fine wine!

Comment

Working...
                    X