No announcement yet.

Concerns Over No PAE Kernel In Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kernel handles highmem/lowmem very well today, so with PAE you can use all of your RAM.

Without it, you can only use the first 4GB of the physical memory area. This also includes the aperture of PCIe, AGP and PCI slots and the ISA (LPC) I/O ports. Note that the aperture is not the amount of memory on the card. It is the amount of data which can be copied to the card at once.
    Last edited by AlbertP; 16 November 2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      This is not true. Gentoo still supports i486 processors and I imagine that doing a Gentoo installation on a i386 system is possible (although not supported).
      In what universe is Gentoo a "major distro"?

Comment

Originally posted by leeenux View Post
        This is an excellent segway into the Bulldozer-bashing that's running rampant. Bulldozer is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times faster than Pentium M, unless you pull out the most wretchedly single-threaded benchmark you can find, then it's only perhaps 4x faster. I'm hearing from everybody now that Pentium M is good enough for people with basic needs. Does that make Bulldozer fast, or is it still slow?
        I haven't seen a single VALID bulldozer bash ever. So far, not a single benchmark has been performed by ANYONE that actually *allows* the bulldozer to shine. It won't show its abilities until AFTER the software catches up with the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          I haven't seen a single VALID bulldozer bash ever. So far, not a single benchmark has been performed by ANYONE that actually *allows* the bulldozer to shine. It won't show its abilities until AFTER the software catches up with the hardware.
          So wait, are you implying that nobody should be benchmarking bulldozer for the next 12-24 months?

Comment

Working...
          X